Stupid baby quail.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by spookyevilone, Jan 14, 2009.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Baby Tux and Baby Pharaoh had been moved to a large birdcage so they'd stop stepping on the baby buttons. They're mostly feathered and the size difference is much more obvious now.

Baby Tux is apparently going to take after his Houdini father. He escaped sometime yesterday by pushing the feed tray out and wiggling through the hole. I couldn't find him. I expected to find a puff of feathers at some point from the cats finding Baby Tux first.

This morning, my quail roos went nuts, all of them crowing at the buttcrack of dawn. I went out and turned their lights on, but that didn't stop it. I hauled myself out of bed and went to inspect the cages. All had food and water, birds all looked healthy, cats were nowhere near the cages.

I feel a peck peck peck on my foot and look down, and there's Baby Tux, looking up at me like, "Ok. This was nice but I want to go home now." He was dehydrated and feeling light, so I put the heat lamp back on their cage and made sure he got some water right away.

I STILL have no idea where he'd been hiding. I checked under the cages and in every nook and cranny I could find.

The feed tray has been bungee'd and no harm no.. heh.. fowl. I think I'm just doomed to produce escapee quail.
    -Spooky

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I like cute stories with happy endings

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    glad you found him [​IMG]

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    One thing I've learned, and I've tried to get the boys to tune in to it, is if any of the coturnix are making a racket for a long time, something's wrong. Usually it is the food or water, but when they're brooder-age, it's usually one that found their way out of the cage. I think it's cool that they stay close by, though, and the fact that he pecked at your foot? That's cool. I almost killed one by stepping on it when I didn't know it was on the floor. [​IMG]

5. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    That's really cute that he pecked on your foot. Glad you found him.

I've had a couple get out - usually right after they get their wings and before I realize they are now pilots. The easiest way for me to find them is to get one out and wait for it to peep. The "lost" one (who before didn't want to admit they were lost) will often answer the peeping of its flockmate.

Got that tip from somebody on here for chickens. It works, and pretty quickly. Just make sure you shut everything off - radio/tv, etc.

You're very fortunate to have such good kitties too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by