Stupid breeding question - Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by galanie, Dec 20, 2011.

1. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Alright first, this question is for future reference. I've already made me decision and it could well have been the wrong one. But in the future, anyway enough of that.. on to the question.

I have some nice breeder quality APA Orpingtons. And some (I think they're nice!) part English blue orps. But the blues won't win any shows, one has super loose feathering and both have poor coloring mainly is why. I love them anyway and really want the look of an English and size. But I also feel I should be improving whatever I get, not just letting them do their thing to get "pretty chickens."

My goals get a bit muddled when I remind myself of the above, but they started out being "breed the biggest ones you can, after that go for type." Well the biggest roo I had the opportunity to use was a splash. I didn't care for his personality and since he was half brother (or maybe full, who knows with a quad) to the blues, he wasn't going to improve their color any. My solid pure APA black would though. He's 10 months, a bit over 10 lbs, and very wide. The splash is much younger but already every bit as tall as the black.

Given that type of flock, and those goals, did I do what you would have done and kept the black APA roo?

Please don't say "Why are you asking, you already made up your mind." I want opinions that might help me with the next time I make a similar decision. We live and learn, and I can take constructive criticism. Even if you agree, tell me why you agree. I'm all about learning here.

Blue girls here. As you see, one is lighter blue, but her lacing is awful and her blue is multicolored:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The splash:
    [​IMG]

The black:
    [​IMG]

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Personally I would use the black roo. As you said, the splash won't improve color and you aren't fond of his personality. Why pass that off to the chicks? The black roo looks beautiful. Love his coloring and at 10 months I would say he still has some growing to do.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The black, you could always keep the splash as a "back up" if something were to happen.

4. RattlesnakeRidgeWV

RattlesnakeRidgeWV Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Go with the black, a better specimen of the breed.

5. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    My opinion would be to take the girls to both males (at different times) and hatch some of each to see what you get. Keep the best of the best from both hatches and work your way up from there. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I like this, but first impression for me, seeing the birds was... Use the black.

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Thank you all for your replies. I admit, I am surprised no one has said to keep the splash. So it appears I did the best thing but I do love HenThymes idea and will for sure keep it in mind for the future. I need to fence off an area anyway that will make this easier to do as soon as I have the cash for it.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I have to agree with HenThymes. For the record I'm more impressed with the Splash boy than the Black.

9. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Quote:I have to agree with HenThymes. For the record I'm more impressed with the Splash boy than the Black.

[​IMG]

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I keep two roosters for my breeding program with some of the BBS Orpington girls. They are 3/4th English, one is a Black and the other Splash. I rotate for the best of the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by