stupid chickens gave me a hard time today

opihiman911

Songster
14 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Yesterday I put in some new fencing on one end of the coop and replaced a bunch of rusted wire and really secured the run. Thinking I would make it safe for the girls I put a dab of clear silicone over each exposed wire end. While I was in there I found 2 little eggs laying in the dirt. I know who has been laying her eggs there, I excuse her its her first week or two.
So this morning I go into the run and first thing that happens to me if the gate scratched my leg. I look at the gate and all around and all the dabs of silicone on the ends are gone!!!! All around the place, probally half of them are gone. Does anyone know if a half tube of silicone among 13 chickens is harmful??
idunno.gif

While in the run I see the young hen squatting in the same corner so I scoop her up and put her in the nesting area that already has a couple egg in it and then block the exit.
I go back and was just cleaning up under a shade area when out of no where my sweet roo just has a fit flys up and starts fighting/flopping at branch right behind me, then flogged the dirt for a while He scared the #@#!@#!! out of me. he just went off and had at with the branch, no one and nothing I could see was bother him....almost like a seizure but he seem to know what he was doing. So after 30 sec of that I catch him and hold him tight make him calm down and carried him for a while and he became the normal calm roo I know him as.......he just had a spaz attack.
After finishing the chores around the yard I go back and check on the little lady I locked up in the nesting area. Peek in the lid of the nest and there is 4 out of 5 egg broken and egg and yolk all over. I look at the hen and she has slime all over her. I don't knowif she tried to lay an egg and was mess about it...or did she freak and rampage on me for locking her in the nest area.
I let her loose, clean out the nests, salvage 1 egg make everything hospitable again for the other ladies.
On the way out I give theM a last couple treats of some fallen ripe bananas. All of them start playing catch with them and soon they are chasing dirty powdered with poo gross ripe banana and having fun playing...It looked liek a chocolate peanut covered bananna, but wrong kind of chocolate. End of the game all of them had slimy heads and I'm sure I saw them licking their lips

barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

Not a good start to the day.
Sometimes I wonder why I put up with them.....because I love fresh eggs and my little girl loves her pet hens

Peace and a smile to everyone...have a better day

Aloha,
cory

Last edited:
I know about that kind of day, things just seem to keep happening. I hope today is a better day!!!

chocolate peanut covered bananna, but wrong kind of chocolate.

That is so funny! I laugh everytime I think about it!​

Back
Top Bottom