Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
We have our first big rain storm and I went out to check on the chickens. They look like drowned rats.......totally wet. They have a nice, cozy, warm coop and they are standing outside in the rain. The only one that wasn't wet was my light brahma - she was in the nesting box.

Stupid chickens.
barnie.gif

Hey they aren't stupid.....everyone loves a "little" rain once in a while.
wee.gif

Here in Southern California we are still waiting for the "big" storm. It will be my girl’s first rain. My coop is temporary and I have tried to cover it. They are out right now and I think they will probably stay out in the rain during the day because they have trees and other things to get under. It is night time that I worry about. I have elevated the nest boxes and the little dog house. The four of them usually cram themselves into that. They are big girls. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
fl.gif

The storm hit us last night. Well, not really a storm..... About an inch of water in some puddles! The chickens are staying in.

Same here Kelly! We're just north of Sacramento near Yuba City and it's dumping rain here. My poor chickens are out there soaking wet with a big clean coop waiting all nice and warm for em... but noooooo....
I prefer to call them 'dim' as I have a 3 year old that repeats everything that I say.
lau.gif

Quote:
Okay then they are intelligence limited.
wink.png

Yes, it is dumping rain, and the wind is really strong. (outside Auburn here) I thought for sure they'd be in the coop, but NOPE.

My "DIM" chickens better stay dry!
lol.png

They keep coming to the back door and I am beginning to feel sorry for them. I have thought of putting a wee couch in the kitchen for them to lounge on.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Sometimes when it rains here, my kids worry themselves about the chickens, but I just leave them alone. Even if I go to the coop with grain to call them in, I won't be successful with getting all of them in and they just keep on scratching and pecking at bugs and wet grass, totally ignoring the shower falling on them. If its not dangerously cold, as it will be in a few months, I would just leave them alone. Maybe they could use a good washing anyway.

Sorry, I have to agree with New2Chooks on this one, they really aren't very bright. We had a hail storm this summer, and my chickens just stood there looking up at the sky. I could just hear them "The sky is falling, the sky is falling". Everything else went running for cover, heck even the fish in the pond swam to the bottom. Yup, they are stupid chickens.

My girls didn't come running out this morning like they usually do. I had tarped over the run so well that it was still dark in the coop. I had to plug in their light.

They came out later but spent most of their time on the covered porch. That's where they hang out half the time normally.
I did have to wash the tracked in cecal poop from my Light Brahma's foot. She was tracking it everywhere.
After hosing her foot off I put her back in the coop under the 100W ceramic heat lamp. I know, I'm spoiling them.

I've got them all in the coop right now but 2 are in the nests. I put the RIR in last (flapping so hard she whacked the heat lamp I was trying to put her under) and she started singing the egg song after a few minutes. She just stopped actually. Better go collect eggs
smile.png

I really need t rethink my coop-run tarping strategy. I have saggy spots that are filling up really fast. I have went out and dumped them twice already. I need something to provide a firm slope to drain the water as it comes in.

Sure do love getting the rain though.

Quote:
I have been playing with the idea of that see through plastic corrugated patio roof stuff. I think it comes in 10 to 12 foot lengths. I want to make it tilt away from the house.

Since I am on my own, I need something light weight. It will let the light in and it will have to be anchored. It is a work in progress.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom