stupid chipmunks!! eating all my chicken food!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sonew123, Sep 7, 2009.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ok It started with 1 in teh spring. Then-we thought it was cute, watching him eating the layer pellets with all the hens. Now there's a very family-hoarding all the food-The night before I filled all food bowls before bed-4-5 lbs of it. Mind you all birds were locked up as was the food in bowls-dang it if those buggers got into it all before 7 am and took it all! My chickens went out to free range with empty food bowls! They looked at me like-MOM what the heck? I see the 4-5 culprits with fats cheecks-its not cute anymore and they have to go -I have got to get have a heart traps-no wonder why my feed bill is massive-and it shouldnt be because of free ranging! Im sick of it...My Dh justs laughs every time hes sees them with fat cheeks-he's not going to laugh when he sees how much Ive been spending on food!!!

2. RuffledFeathers

RuffledFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    I had a chipmunk that spent so much time going back and forth to the feeder that the pullets thought he was part of the flock and left him alone. Drove my dog crazy.
    I found out that the chipmunks were not the real problem, though, in my case it was the mice and then the rats that were spending the entire night eating everything that was spilled. The rats went through more food than the chipmunks ever did.
    I made the mistake of setting out poison at night- which the rats and mice ate- and left blue colored poop (which I assume to be poisonous too!). I spent many mornings picking up every dropping I could find before the chicks went out foraging, and luckily, no one was injured.
    I fixed all of the problems by locking up the food in a rat-mouse-and-chipmunk-proof enclosure with 1/2" hardware cloth and a lock. I can still keep the big feeders filled and just close up the door at night. I don't leave ANY food out at night and the creatures seem to have dissipated. The chipmunks became more afraid to go in the fortified area and the hens started to attack when they came into their "space" so it worked out without having to harm little Chippies!

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have a family of them living under my deck! I put scratch grains out for the wild birds around here and that is what did it for me I think. I had a family bbq on my deck a few years ago when we only had one chipmunk around and boy was that one greedy little bugger. Because noone managed to drop a boneless rib on the deck He marched up there like he owned the place, looed at us all with bbq sauce running down our chins and sweet corn stuck in our teeth and just screamed at us. He stalked me in the yard, wherever i happened to be he was right behind me yelling at me the whole time, when I turned around he'd dive behind a tree until i started walking away. My flock thinks they are part of them as well and they leave them alone. I don't mind them but a girls gotta draw the line when they start stalking you because the scratch feeder was running a bit low.

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Put em in the sauce.

5. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Set those boundaries or the little rat will be trying to take you away for a romantic weekend.

6. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    A paintball will kill a chipmunk, just to let you know. I could provide a pic if you are interested. [​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Quote:Set those boundaries or the little rat will be trying to take you away for a romantic weekend.

[​IMG] [​IMG] You are right! Off to buy a paint ball gun.....

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Id rather not kill them you thread stealers! LOL..but that does funny as heck! I do have the guns too! Im a bad shot though:-(

9. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Sonew I couldn't kill em either, not now that I have named them..... [​IMG]

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    CRAP!! to make it worse my neighbors just complained about the roosters!! I live on 6 acres-too bad for them I guess-I am allowed to have them. I have always been as respectful as possible-ANy unwanted roo I either process or give away-Welllll The one I have is a mix polish roo so big and pretty-Im keeping him for now. He never shuts up! I have a feelign Im going to have to keep him caged in early mornings-I let them all out by 5:45-so my family doesnt have to deal with it all I guess Ill have to have DH let him loos at 7:20 on his way out to work??? I have 2 roos that wil be processed today-wasnt going to until next weekend but...Then I have another polish mixed roo that hurt his leg really bad yesterday and he cant walk on it-he is caged too in first aid cage-I guess I could process him too since I wasnt keeping him either:-( Ahhhh nothing like being forced to do things ahead of time when you dont have time!!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by