stupid coyote!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BarefootMom, Jul 19, 2011.

1. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    So we have been losing a rduck here and there, sometimes a chicken. Lost a cat, and now our Blue Slate Turkey Tom... [​IMG] He got out of his pen and dissapeared...30 minutes later I saw a coyote in the pasture next to the house. Shot, but missed. I went out where he was standing and there layed the feathers... [​IMG]

So now we have to decided whether or not to sell our hen or TRY to find a tom. You just never see them for sale and when you do they are $$$$ sigh. I thought we had this coyote problem taken care of. guess not. DH is going to try and get him this evening.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]
    Best of luck in finding a new tom.

3. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    First, Sorry for your loss!! I had coyote's take 7 of 8 of my Eastern turkey's on Thanksgiving no less, now it is so on, I have declared war on the coyote's, not sure we will ever have the problem solved, just have to keep the numbers in check!!

4. BarefootMom

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:yeah we don't have a trap big enough to get him, the 270 will get him though. DH killed probably a dozen last fall, thinking we had thinned them out- but obviously not enough. They had gotten to the point of killing newborn calves. [​IMG]

meant to say the 270. not my day, need to get off the computer...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:yeah we don't have a trap big enough to get him, the 220 will get him though. DH killed probably a dozen last fall, thinking we had thinned them out- but obviously not enough. They had gotten to the point of killing newborn calves. [​IMG]

I catch them occasionally in 1 1/2 1.65 CS's I use 1.75-2 CS's most of the time if I am targeting them, the best time to kill them is in the spring it is easy to get rid of much larger numbers then that and in the fall when family groups are breaking up same deal. it is possible with a 220 just be careful they are fairly dangerous if I have a choice a snare is better then a 220 I can make a snare nonlethal with deer stops you just have to use a large enough sized cable they are bad about chewing

6. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    i agree take care of them in the spring if i see a coyote it gets shot male female baby adualt does not matter 270 should put a nice hole in them.i shot them with my 308 most of the time.goodluck

7. Mamma_Duck04

Mamma_Duck04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Crazyville, VA
    BarefootMom- where at in MO are you?
    My mom's got a pair of blue slates, the hen's sitting a nest now that should be hatching in the next few weeks. She's about an hour north of KC, MO. Just asked her about it, she's still interested in selling the adult pair (after the hatch) too. I'd listed them on here when the hen had her last batch of babies but no one seemed interested in the adults so she's still got them.

8. BarefootMom

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:guess you didn't see my town in my handle.

I am in Half Way. It is about 3-4 hours SOUTH of KC... [​IMG] just 25 miles N of Springfield.

9. BarefootMom

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:If I wait till spring I won't have any animals left! Lost 3 Delawares and another kitty last night..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by