Stupid Coyote!

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
About 20 minutes ago, I was out raking around the chicken yard and suddenly heard & saw a rukus on the back side of the yard and ran to the end of the coop and yelled "GET!" thinking it was a neighbor dog that sometimes visits our dogs but then!! I got through the pasture gate and saw a big adult Coyote sitting on 'his' butt at the end of the chicken yard!! I was immediately ticked off and chased the birds out of the area and ran back up to the hosue to get the gun and realized the room where they are is locked and i have no key!! ARGH.

Thankfully he was gone when i got back to the coop. I was kinda hoping he wouldn't have been able to leave so i could run himinto the empty yard until someone got home with the gun key. His back leg was obviously broken and i am sure the only reason he went after them in the middle of the day was because he was hungry but I can't even feel bad for him... I have lost count of how many birds i have lost to coyotes over the last few years! And a hurt, hungry one is just going to keep trying to get the birds... or my cat.

Hoping he's around when i have access to the guns... mangey little beast
somad.gif

I'm glad your chickens are safe!!! Coyotes in our area often bring tame domestic dogs on the hunt with them. I have a church friend who got many bites in a walk in our town in the morning, where mixes dogs (mixed coyotes and dogs) bit her enough times to necessitate 40 stitches. Just a suggestion, I'd be working on the security of the coop, asap..... Coyotes or mixed coyote dogs often return where they see "dinner".... Have a blessed evening. Nancy

I haven't had any trouble with predators getting into the coop, just mice. The birds were all free ranging when the coyote showed up but thankfully they were all close to the coop and within view.

I wanted to catch him but wasn't willing to get bitten, especially with him being hurt already I think he would have been extremely agressive if i had cornered him or tried to hit him or something.

The birds all went back in the coop immediately and are in there for a while... This was the first day i let them out in a week and of course a get my first coyote at the coop in the same day!

They belong to my father and are locked in his house, I actually live next door to them and don't own a gun. That's why i didn't have access.

What is the point of having a gun and not having access to it? That's as bad as having a gun with no bullets hanging on the wall... just my opinion.

Thank you Kevin, they all made it through without a scratch thankfully :)

Several yrs ago I had a coyote dog cross break into my goose barn and kill 22 geese sebastopols and brown africans and 2 of the birds that were killed had won best of breed and reserve breed that yr at the national show. I went several years without losing a bird to a predator and this yr a stray dog broke into my goose pen and killed 9 geese. Needless to say and dog or coyote that walks onto my property that let's me see it doesn't get to live much longer.

I had something get into one of my pens the other night and got all 8 of my 9 week old Lavender Orpingtons. It wasn't secure enough. I am new to chickens. Only had chickens about 5 months. Had never had a problem with any predators. It was a 10x10 dog run that was covered tightly with tarps on 3 sides. The open side meets with my other chicken run. The chicks slept in a large pet carrier. When I went out that morning before work(still dark) to open the gate for my adult chickens to get out and freerange during the day I realized something was wrong. Then I realized what ever got my chicks had torn the 2 side tarps off, bit at the wire and dug a big hole under the fence nad got all 8 babies.I think it was coyotes or dogs. Scared to death they will be back to get my grown chickens. If I put electric wire at around the pen will it hurt the chickens it they get to it? I also have cats will it hurt them? I have one cat that actually goes in the coop and sleeps with the chickens in the nesting box. Until I figure out the best way to secure it I have a baby monitor so I can hear what's going on out there.

I thing I learned about having an electrical fence is make sure its a pusling one. I lost my favorite goose to 1 that didn't pulse she bit the fecne and wasn't able 2 let got of it because the electricity won't let them let go

Back
Top Bottom