stupid dad!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brahmakid11, Sep 28, 2011.

1. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    my dad just killed my chicken just because it was sick! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Sometimes adults make very important and tough decisions so you don't have to. Cut him a little slack, he loves you very much.

3. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    you need to tell the whole story before comment????????????????????????????????????????

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    my dad went out and said it was sick i told him we could give it a medication but he just went ahead and killed it by wacking it with a stick and i really wish he would not kill them like that [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

Some illnesses cannot be treated with medicine and are very contagious to the rest of the chickens. Unfortunately, in those cases, it is best to remove them from the flock and kill them so that they do not make the others sick and do not suffer.

If you don't like how he killed it, then you should talk to him about it. Do so as calmly and maturely as you can so that he understands that you are very serious and responsible enough to actively participate in all parts of keeping the chickens.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    My kids get upset when I cull one of our birds too.

But we breed for resistance so sick birds are culled unless it's something like coccidiosis which we've only ever had a problem with once.

As others have noted there are many diseases that the birds may no longer show symptoms from, but will act as carriers for the rest of their lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by