Stupid dog!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nupine, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I really don't like our dog! He is a husky mix who is white with blue eyes. So far he has killed and old english silver duckwing hen, possibly a mille fluer hen, a turken rooster, 2 blue polish roos, and a silverlaced wyandotte roo. The old english and mille fluer were from last spring but the other were from recently. I had 9 roo and 2 hens I didn't really want but I didn't want to go for meat. I tried to find them a home but I couldn't. So I let them loose in our yard. They were really neat looking. But after a few days, my mom accidently let the dog loose, forthe first time in about 6 months. I managed to round up the banties because they are the slowest. But every one else had to fend for themselves. The dog took off so we went to town. When we got back 4 of the 6 roosters were gone. We caught the dog eventually and tied him up. A few days later she accidently let him loose again. We spent about an hour chasing the 5 banties in the mud. We caught 4 and my mom said she wanted to let oggie eat him. That ticked me off. I eventually caught him and then caught the two big roos. We eventually got oggie tied up. I now have locked all the chickens up for good, they were enjoying all the grass. We let ogg go yesterday but he was chasing deer away from a hunter so he complained. So we eventually tied him up. But something else I HATE abuot this dog is that you can't catch him. He thinks it is a game and runs away. You can't trick him and you certainly can't chase him. He has been known to run a 30 mph for over 2 miles!!!!! When he is loose, he run to the chicken pens and scares the crap out of them! When he is in the house, he stinks, he pees on the floor, he farts, he grabs food off the table, he drools, he licks your hand, and he won't stop begging. You can hardly walk him because he pulls on the leash. He chews everything, such as our amish furiture, my water carrying containers for chickens, and table cloths. He jumps on you with his dirty paws. He he bites our basset hound. He chases our cats. He has also chased our goats, which I really hate. He has also chased neighbors cattle when they are vaccinating. And, my mom asks why I hate him. She loves him for some odd reason. I like my chickens more than him. Honestly, I hate him. I love all animals, just not him. I really hope we get rid of him. But I wouldn't mind if a hunter shoots him or something.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Wow, what a total mess. No one can let him out by mistake again - just unfathomable with all the death and destruction that results.
    I understand your frustration.

3. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dogs are hunters. You can't blame him for acting out his natural instincts.

On the other hand, your mother sounds like a moron. :-D

I'd either get rid of the dog or get rid of mom. There are considerably more rescue groups for dogs than for mothers, so look into one for the dog. ;-)

4. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] I am sorry...but this is exactly what *I* was thinking too! [​IMG]

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    That dog has a high prey drive, which has been allowed to continue unchecked. To do anything about it now would require an intensive committment to training, and it doesn't sound like anyone in your house has the time and/or the desire to do it. Having said that, it sounds best if you suggest to your mom that the dog be rehomed. Your local shelter has people who are trained to rehome dogs with prior behavior issues.
    Of course, that is easier said than done. If your mom truly loves the dog, she may not be willing to part with it. In that case, how about getting your mom a gift certificate to go to obedience classes? If money is an issue, most local humane societies have classes or can help you out. It won't make the dog trustworthy around your livestock, but he can learn to be a lot more pleasant to have inside, that's for sure! What a beastie! Good luck.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That dog is in DESPRATE NEED of some good training. Set down the law for that dog and take him to doggie school. The dog needs to learn some manners. Most likly he will always be a killer but to have your dog walk you is terrible. I am of the belief a dog is to stay one step to the side and half a step back as you and your family need to be at the top of his order.

Sorry for your losses and hope you can get something resolved.

7. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    If you hate the dog, give it the benefit of a good home where it can be trained and watched over correctly. Sorry, but if it's running loose and is not listening to you it's a danger to others and itself. Turn it over to a no kill shelter or put it on Craigslist or something...anything is better then what's going on now.

8. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    kill the dog ?

9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sounds to me like if you don't get rid of the dog, someone else will do it for you.

I'm suprised the hunter didn't kill him, or the cattle owners. It's a serious offense for a dog to chase livestock (especially if it belongs to someone else), they are considered property and if he ends up killing or injuring a calf (or any other type of livestock) that makes your family responsible for the damages.

10. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Lacy_94 Why kill a dog if you have a chance of finding it a good home? It just needs some time and training and a good home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by