Stupid egg question .......

Scooter

In the Brooder
12 Years
Oct 30, 2007
Western WA
Can a hen lay different color eggs?

We have adopted 8 different hens from various people, and thought we knew the breeds. 2 easter eggers , a black star, a buff orpington, 2 red stars and most recently 2 cuckoo marans. So where did yesterday's little white egg come from?????

Our youngest easter egger has only laid one egg - a small but very blue one. The older EE is molting but has given us 2 grey green large eggs.

The only 2 unknowns are the young "red star" and "cuckoo maran". Are there any white egg layers that look like either of these breeds? Or could one of the EEs be laying different color eggs? It does look like a first egg.

Any ideas? I will try to post pictures soon.

Thanks.

California Greys lay a white egg and are barred.
Barred Leghorns also lay a white egg. Can you post a pick? Look for a bird with a white ear lobe, that's your culprit.

OK - I'll try to post some images......

All breeds listed are best guesses based on information from previous parents! (And you have to blame the kids for the names!)

Our young "red star", Mabel. No eggs that we know are definitely hers yet:

Mabel:
mabel.jpg

Our new "cuckoo marans". Have had brown eggs with dark brown spots from one of them - not sure which one:

Foghorn:
foghorn.jpg

Leghorn:
leghorn.jpg

Our "easter eggers". Have had a very blue egg from Scooter and gray/green eggs from Giblets:

Scooter:
scooter.jpg

Giblets:
giblets.jpg

Our other three hens definitely lay large brown eggs.

Who laid the little white egg???????

eggs.jpg

Rooster Red - that could totally be Scooter! So we have a definite white egg layer.

But then could Giblets have laid a blue egg as well as green? At the time we got the one blue and two green eggs (none for about a month now) we only had Scooter, Mabel, our black star, buff orpington and Giblets, so if the little blue egg wasn't Scooter .......

Here are pictures of our black star and buff orpington in case we got them wrong too. Feels like I should be in the which breed forum now!!

Thanks for all your input!

Aubergine:
aubergine.jpg

Sweetie Pie:
sweetiepie.jpg

Back
Top Bottom