Stupid facebook aps!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 30, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Apparently these take a lot of 'umph' (for lack of a better word) from my laptop. I don't know how many times my laptop has crashed (completely turned off) when I was playing a game on one of the aps! How can I get it to quit? Right now, I'm sitting on my bed with a small fan between my thighs, pointing at the bottom of my laptop [​IMG] It seems to overheat pretty badly when I'm using facebook aps.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2009
  2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Despite being laptops they still need to have air circulation. Keeping them on your laps/legs restricts the airflow and contributes to overheating.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I put a book on my lap and the laptop on the book. It helps a lot.

My laptop has burst into flames a few times and it's gotten hot too.

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I heard that if you are drinking a McFlurry and enjoying a Dilly Bar, your laptop will remain cool merely by your secondary frost.

Well, maybe that's just an urban myth.

I may have even just made it up right now.

Who knows? [​IMG] It sure won't hurt to try.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Normally I have my legs crossed with the laptop setting on my knees, so it gets plenty of air circulation. It just gets too hot. I bought a laptop desk and a cooling fan, but it's not working. Now since I've figured out that the fan was upside down, maybe it will work better. We'll see....

6. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Maybe if you get upside down....

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:Normally I have my legs crossed with the laptop setting on my knees, so it gets plenty of air circulation. It just gets too hot. I bought a laptop desk and a cooling fan, but it's not working. Now since I've figured out that the fan was upside down, maybe it will work better. We'll see....

Hope so.

My laptop has the cooling fan at the edge so unless I have it on a hard flat surface the fan gets blocked.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY

Hope so.

My laptop has the cooling fan at the edge so unless I have it on a hard flat surface the fan gets blocked.

Mine is on the back-left corner, but it still gets too hot. I make sure not to block it, but it's not enough.

9. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Quote:Sounds good to me [​IMG]

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I have always used a "chill mat" under my laptop. It gets power from USB and runs 2 fans under the laptop, plus elevates it for better airflow underneath. Cost about $25 at Wal-Mart, might could be had for cheaper online.

My Toshiba laptop was my main computer for 3 years and I probably spent 99% of my free time gaming on it (although not FB apps specifically) I also was careful to turn off my computer at night, not just leave it in standby mode. I think it needs the rest to cool completely between uses.

It never crashed! I think I saw blue screen maybe 3x in the whole 3 years that I used it daily. Crashing is generally a sign of a virus, or hardware failure, or corrupted files which could be caused by either. For that I can recommend Avira - I use the free version it's nice except for a daily pop-up, and I was happy with Stopzilla ($40/machine/year) except that it made my computer very slow on boot-up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by