Stupid Frustration Venting

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Omniskies, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I bought a batch of Moby Quail eggs on ebay and they were supposed to hatch this weekend. I had them in the hatcher in a wire tray on the floor for them. Friday I heard pipping, peeked through the plastic with a flashlight and saw them. Saturday I was at a show all day and didn't look at all. Today I held off from going by the hatcher at all since I wanted to resist the urge to open it early.

I went ahead and opened it a little while ago and half the quail chicks managed to find the ONE bowed up spot under the wire tray, wriggled under it, and were crushed.

But they're not dead. I don't know if that's better or a whole lot worse. I have a lot of chicks with spraddle leg that look pretty flat. We're talking a lot.

Now I don't know what to do. I have them all in the brooder. I'm just really frustrated.

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Try to make them a little splint. How big are they?

3. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    1-2 days old. I don't want to put them down, but whenever I've dealt with one or two spraddle cases in the past it's taken up a lot of time. I have no idea how to handle dozens.

4. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Put a toothpick on their legs and then strap it to them. After a few days old it is too late.

5. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    grab a pack of band-aids and some scissors...
    cut strips of band-aids long ways
    make little hobbles for each splayed chick
    I do this twice with the really bad ones.. first hobble is kinda half way between splayed and normal. Then once they get a little better I re-hobble for normal stance.

6. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I had a guinea with a spayed leg and the others helped it around the brooder.

7. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    We just hatched button quail for the first time. I thought it was safe but they somehow managed to get under the tray. Thankfully we caught them in time and got them all out. When I was trying to get them out from under there, the other ones were running over like little lemmings, jumping down. [​IMG]

We had one spraddle leg that we tried to fix with tape and toothpicks but he died despite our efforts.

I have no idea how to euthanize button quail. My fiance and I were talking about it. They're so small. [​IMG]

8. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I put a pellet gun to their heads. That's how I cull all chicks. With a pellet coming ath their heads going 1000+ feet per second I doubt they feel a thing. A pair of bolt cutters might work too if thats all you have. I hate to cull, but sometimes it's best.

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:That's going over the edge................Bolt Cutters? Come on..............the dynamics of a pellet rifle is not what the OP wants to hear. A pellet rifle taking out a 2 day old chick???? [​IMG]

10. diggypaws

diggypaws Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I had some with splayed legs accidentally get out on the carpet, and they started running around almost normally, so I put in a white towel (so I could bleach it) and within a few days, I couldn't even tell which ones they were.

It might be worth a shot to try something like that, especially if you have several. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by