stupid goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by njduck, Aug 4, 2011.

1. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I have had a bad week with ducks and geese this week. all of my pens are open, they have 4ft chain link fence with no top. mind you the smallest pen is 50x80ft. I have several pastures/pens. so as my hatchlings grow they get moved to the next pen. until they are big enough for the 6 acre pasture. Also I would never notice if I lost 1 duck if there was no body laying on the ground. I have lost birds to fox, hawks, owls you name it. I keep all of the smaller birds close to the house which makes the predators a little less likely to attack other then the hawks and owls. I also forgot to mention I am a trapper so, fur bearers get thinned out every year. Last saturday night an owl got a 4 month old tolouse goose, monday night something got a pekin out of the same pasture. Today I was feeding the babies, being 4 months old they are big babies. I noticed I was 1 short. I thought ggreat I got had again. Walked around to the other side of the pen and found the goose. She was still alive but had her head stuck under the chainlink fence and was stuck. she was on her back. I thought for sure her neck was broke. I got her unstuck, she is really off balance now and stumbles and falls. I placed her in her own pen with food and water. Hopefully she is just dizzy and wore out from being trapped. But it shows even geese think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. She was in a quarter acre pasture with a 8x10ft pond with 36 other friends. Plenty of grass, weeds and feed.

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Yep, geese are nosy that's for sure and I can see how the goose would think the grass would be greener on the other side of the fence. My geese manage to open a bag of pine shavings last night. Here I thought I would put it in the pen and stay dry under the roof forgetting geese like to nibble on everything.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My two geese have actually unplugged the cords for the EcoGlow brooders in the coop. Just nibbled and pulled on them long enough. Luckily, it hasn't been cold enough at night to lose young chicks.

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:That's not good. I was able to hide that part of the cord from mine. Although, they pull the plug out of the pool and drain all the water. The ducks and the geese just look at me as if to say "I don't know what happened, the water is gone" I even put a big rock over the plug. Silly geese.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I hope your gosling makes it [​IMG] please post back and let us know how it's doing.

6. njduck

Jul 15, 2011
    I checked on him twice today. the first time he was upside down in a shallow feed bucket I had set up for water for him. Luckily his head was out of the water but he had been there a few hours. I stood him upright and he sat down and began eating again. after a few minutes he stood up and walked like he was drunk towards the end of the pen where he could hear the other geese. I checked again just before dark. He was all dried off. I had to help him stand then he walked to get more food and then walked back towards his buddies pen. He still walks like he is drunk but not as bad. hopefully tomorrow he can go back with his friends.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My geese unhooked the spark plug wire from the push mower one day. At least I caught them in the act and 'fixed' it before my dad seen it, or the $#@$ would have hit the fan! [​IMG] They have to nibble on anything and everything, I guess I need to put a muzzle on them [​IMG]

8. njduck

Jul 15, 2011
    been away from the internet all weekend. The goose is still alive. he is still very unsteady on his feet. He falls down alot and has to get back. It mainly happens when he is standing still and trying to eat below him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by