Stupid Hawk!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

My 2 Sister hens, Echo & Panda have been brooding a nest together. their babies were hatching yesterday and when i got up this morning and looked out the kitchen window there was a Big, Fat Hawk sitting on top of the coop!
    ... that wasn't even the worst part... 2 of my newer, "feral" Muscovy hens were just strolling around under it, eating grass like all was good in the world, IDIOTS.

I was planning on letting the sisters raise these babies, I don't have my mean drake anymore, it's their second shared clutch of the year and they're such good mommas. But because of the Hawk I had to make the decision to take them all and put them in the brooder with the Cochin chicks for now. [​IMG] I am sure the girls will be hating me for a couple days and also be hanging close to the porch listening to their babies chattering.

I put up one of those fake Owl statues, about 5ft above the coop and the Hawk hasnt been back over but I am pretty sure they beasts are nesting in one of the Oak trees about 60-100ft from the coop. I have been watching them fly back and forth between them for the last 2 days. and have heard them flying all over too.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Perhaps you can cover a run for the ducks and their babies. They only need to be covered for 3 weeks then they are big enough.

3. javajanie

javajanie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Southern MD
    That stinks! Good idea about the fake owl statue. I have hawks, turkey vultures, and crows that bother my chickens and ducks. Usually they are smart enough to hide under this really overgrown holly tree, but I might get a fake owl to help keep them away.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Please don't waist your money on fake owls they do not work, If you live in the country fireworks work wonders for keeping hawks at bay.

5. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Hawks are not afraid of owls. They are afraid of crows. So if you can find or make fake crows you will be all set. You could also get a recording of crows and play it once in a while it might help keep the hawk away.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Set up boxes for tree swallows. They are rather aggressive towards hawks when they have babies. Plus they eat mosquitoes galore. Still I had netting up when mine were small.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

What kind of boxes do tree swallows like? we have swallows around here but if they'll keep the hawks away i will build a whole condo and attach it to the coop.

the fake owl worked for me in the past, i had a hawk get one of my splash OEGB hen a few years ago and i put 2 of them up and havent had an owl since then. but i moved the coop and forgot to put the owl back up so they're back and i am sure they're brooding or have babies right now and that's part of it.

8. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    The hawks must be thinking, "Sweet digs up in this oak tree! Right next to an all you can eat buffet!"

9. remadl700

remadl700 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    oregon
    I had the same problem and all of those are great ideas but after extensive research and testing different things we decided just to arm are chicks. Haven't lost a chick yet and now there appears to be a NO FLY ZONE over our property.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  10. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Quote:That is a great idea! I have a large murder of crows in my area and I have seen them chase hawks and dive bomb a fox. I know they are a nuisance to some, but for me--they have prevented a few losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by