Stupid hen laying everywhere!

FARKESU

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
Hi there! Am having a nasty experience with one of my turkey hen laying anywhere even on the top of their cage.
What could be the reason? There are many places and nests for her to lay but chose to lay outside and everywhere.
Please cheep in!

Hi there! Am having a nasty experience with one of my turkey hen laying anywhere even on the top of their cage.
What could be the reason? There are many places and nests for her to lay but chose to lay outside and everywhere.
Please cheep in!
I assume that she is a first time layer. It can take awhile for a new layer to understand what is going on with her body and is not uncommon for them to drop an egg wherever they happen to be at the time the urge hits them.

Unfortunately just because you think something is a desirable nest site does not mean the turkey will agree with you. Turkeys also tend to not like their nests messed with. If she lays an egg somewhere that you feel is acceptable, either replace it with a fake egg or write something on it so that it is identifiable. Either way you need to leave the egg or a substitute there to encourage her to continue using that place.

I ordered these fake chicken eggs on amazon, theyre wooden and really look real (they dont feel real tho) so its easy to id which eggs are real and which arent when you pick them up. It helps my new hens to ID where the nest "should" be, as some of the others commented above. That might help you, def look for turkey sized eggs. They also make various colors in case thats something youd be interested in, matching the egg color. Anyways, sounds like youre frustrated, and thats ok. My previous neighbor got turkeys years ago, he had a LOT of issues with the hens escaping into the neighborhood and laying all over in the neighbors lots, the world was literally her nest. And they could never find her nest, it was an easter egg chase every day for them:confused: and i think he was pretty upset about the whole situation too. I think he stopped even trying to look for her eggs after a while. So i hope you can find something that works for you! Good luck :hugs

M:bun

I agreed with you that its her first egg laying and she may not be stupid. I appreciate your contributions. Thank you all.

Do you know what? This the same bird lays weekly, I don't know whether the eggs can be hatched.

Back
Top Bottom