Stupid hen...paraNOID *update*

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RedReiner, Jan 26, 2011.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    I have a small flock of orp girls, they are all friendly and run to see what I have when I go outside. Follow me around like dogs. UNTIL I got a flighty hen, she is young but convinced humans are evil and always hangs back or hides in the coop when I am out there, now she has convinced my two happy pullets that humans are evil and they no longer will come near me. the whole flock of 4 [​IMG] (I have one more that is the boss and super friendly but sitting on eggs) hides under the bushes all day long cause the big blue girl is paranoid and thinks the sky is falling! [​IMG] I am sending her packing...I dont want chickens that are..well chicken! But will the others come around and start being friendly again? will they calm down and stop thinking I am evil if I remove the paranoid hen?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    You just need more treats! Don't worry she will worship you as the "great food God" in no time!

3. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    I have had her almost 2 months, she wont eat anything I bring out there unless I throw it way away. Then she doesnt run to get it, only if it lands close to her. she has slowly gotten all the others to follow her into the bushes. they spent half the day in there today!! first day in weeks the sun has shined and she hides everyone... I chased them out of the bushes finally, now they are hiding in the barn. go figure. I just want my friendly orps back

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Have you tried hand feeding treats that they have trouble resisting like crickets or meal worms?

5. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    Is that paranoid hen healthy? is she at the lower pecking order?

6. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    Quote:She is second in command. first in command is sitting on eggs now so she is tops out there. very healthy [​IMG] dusted wormed and very well fed. I dont have any crickets or meal worms. they all love bread though and used to come running and eat out of my hand. cept her. She is going down the road. The others will forget her paranoia wont they? I really enjoy friendly hens. Orpingtons are usually very friendly and that is why I got them.

7. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    If you could catch her and if you have an extra cage I would keep her in it and try to feed her from your hand every day until she finally gives in and takes it from you! If she accepts the food, after that you'll have a hard time keeping her away! If you don't wanna do that though your flock should return to normal when she's gone.

8. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    ParaNOID hen left yesterday. today all of my others came over and ate bread out of my hand. they were not as nervous when I was in the run so I think some improvement already, when paranoid was there they were very nervous of me in the run and would not come over for a treat. Funny how the vibes from one will rub off on all the others...especially when its bad vibes!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by