Stupid houdini strays got several of our chickens!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BarkerChickens, Aug 2, 2010.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We thought our coop and run were secure..but apparently not for a bored german shepherd (no tags, so assuming stray) and his 2 evil stray friends. Our run is chain link buried down ~6 inches with hardware cloth on the inside (tie wired to the chain link). The coop and run are inside of a wood fenced yard. At 2:30 am, these dogs broke through the neighbors fence, through our back wood fence (one section has chain link that they BENT up...not dug under!) and then into the run. They clearly tried digging with no success, so they bent the chain link and hardware cloth on the run! [​IMG] [​IMG]

He and his evil companions killed 6 of our 11 babies (8-9 weeks old that our hens laid, hatched and raised) and 7 of our 23 adult hens. Three (an EE and two BRs) of the 7 were from our original 6 hens that we got 3 years ago when we first got chickens. They were all dear to us, but those 6 have a special place in our heart. Two of them were suffering (not dead yet) and DH had to finish it. It is so heartbreaking, but we had to. We couldn't let them suffer. The other four hens were our only 2 faverolles (which my husband and I LOVED...they were SO friendly and had cute, quirky personalities) and our only 2 delaware hens. Another 2 (JGs) are injured badly...one, I think, will be fine, but the other is really bad. She can't walk, but DH says that since she is perky and eating he wants to give her a chance and see if she heals up ok. She obviously walked herself under the coop, but she can't walk now, so we are hoping it is temporary (though I am doubting it). Since she is talking to us and alert, we'll give her a couple days and reassess her injuries.

The stupid dogs just came in and broke their necks and left them. It was just for fun! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] They would have killed more if we didn't get to them.

We thought that run was secure!! We thought we did the right things. [​IMG] DH fixed the fence to secure it more and added cinder block to the outside the entire way and small block on the inside. He also added 2 locks to the coop door, so hopefully they can't break into the coop again.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    So sorry for your losses! I hope your other chicken gets well soon. All we can do is our best when we are securing our chickens. Sometimes it's just not enough. When animals want in they will find a way...sooner or later. I ...as well as everyone else on here....dread the day they make it into my coop/run. I think everything is secure but everyday...I read on here....about peoples losses and how they thought their coop/run was secure. I'd try to watch for those dogs and see if you find them at a neighbors house. They probably live close by. I'd stop and let the owners know what they did and politely ask them to keep their dogs fenced. If that doesn't work, call animal control and ask them to come get them and let animal control know they are killing your chickens. If the owners post lost posters on the dogs you could let them know where they are....if not....they really didn't want them anyway. GOOD LUCK!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OMG.. SO SO sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do you have any idea on who owns the dogs at all?? Ugh... [​IMG]

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Oh, that's just awful. So sorry to hear about your birds.

It sounds like you had a pretty secure setup. The only thing I can think of is to add something that would alert you to a nighttime problem. Baby monitor or something...

And definitely report to animal control, and alert the neighbors to be on the watch for those dogs as well.

German Shepherds are great dogs, but they have a pretty high prey drive & if abandoned/untrained/generally left to run amok can hurt other small animals, not just chickens. Pointing this out to your neighbors may make them more alert (just in case they don't value your chickens highly enough to be alert on your behalf).

Good luck. And remember, your chickens had a good life and you did your best.

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I think the dogs were strays. The GS was kinda skinny (not starving skinny, but skinnier than most GS's that I have seen) and none had tags from what we could see. Very frustrating!! We added more security to the run this week and I have a few ideas of what I would like to do this coming weekend.

I miss my birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by