1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stupid ? Inc/Hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cherndon712, Jan 14, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    What's the difference? I was planning on leaving mine in the bator...Is there a different way? Is it better?

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

They are the same thing really, but hatching is messy so often people with successive hatches use a hatcher so the eggs not ready to hatch won't be disturbed. If all are due on the same day, no need to move anything except the turner if you have one.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    The reasoning behind a hatcher is some people stagger their hatches meaning they have added more eggs at different dates..so the oldest eggs that are due to stop turning on day 18 they just take to a hatcher for them to hatch out..that way their humidity is stable for the rest of the eggs in the incubator and they can up the humidity in the hatcher...hope that made sense [​IMG] plus they don't have to worry about turning if in a turner...

Also when the chicks start pipping and hatching the bator stays cleaner and they have just the hatcher to clean up from a messy hatch..

I don't use a hatcher and don't stagger my hatches...my incubator never gets messy from a hatch...ever...must have cleaner chicks!...LOL..I do clean my bator after every hatch but not because its been messy....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  4. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    So, since I have staggered hatching, can I move my eggs to a different incubator on day 18?

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes...a hatcher is just an extra incubator...same thing only called a hatcher since its just used for eggs after you stop turning on day 18, (day 18 is your last turning) and move them to the hatcher to pip.....just have your temps and your humidity set right....

6. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Well that's good to know! I have quail eggs due to hatch next week, then the next week buff orps, then cochins, then who knows!!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As in messy, not that the walls are coated in goo or anything, but rather there are shells and a coating of chick dust everywhere. :p

8. cherndon712

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    LOL...I was hoping for no goo!! I've read that's not good!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by