Stupid mating question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missydcpc, Dec 10, 2012.

1. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    So...I accidentally got Muscovies. I have 1 drake and 3 ducks. So today I'm standing there and I notice that the drake is "grooming" my oldest duck. So...is this mating behavior? And do they need a "pond" in order to mate? With it being winter and all..I'd emptied the pool and have just a kids sled that I've been putting water in, they don't seem to mind.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't want us to get too graphic, here, but "grooming" like nibbling on the back of her neck? Perhaps jdywntr or Miss Lydia, who have Muscovies, can enlighten us.

My buff drake is not extremely interested in sex right now, it appears. Romy has been hitting on him pretty blatantly, but he's been fairly nonchalant. Or he just waits till I am not around.

3. Yes, " nibbling " is like them trying to attract them. They're messing around with them... No you do not need a pond they will mate on their own without a pond! Hope I could help! I'm an owner of 5 hens and 3 drakes! Good luck!

4. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Rearranging her feathers....perhaps nipping her neck...he certainly wasn't grabbing her by the back of the neck like my roos do to the hens. After he was done...she arched her back spread her wings and shook....like to rearrange her feathers "I liked them where they were, you stupid boy".

5. Yes, he's " aggravating " her to give in. Mine do the same exact thing, it's just how they " talk ".

6. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    YAY!!! Hopefully that means I'll get fertile eggs soon!

7. I thought my ducks weren't mating until I couldn't find my hen and she hatche out two chicks :lol:

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    My drakes have tended to do more "stomping". At least when they are learning to mate. They stomp around on the back of the hen, it always worries me a bit but the girls are okay. I don't recall ever seeing a drake literally grooming a hen but who knows. After mating, the hens do tend to do the spread the wings and shake.
    As stated, they don't need a pond, mine rarely go in the kiddie pool but they do like to bathe in there at least every other day.

Are your hens laying now? If so, then you very well could get some fertile eggs. I actually just had a clutch of 12 hatch on the 5th. Crazy girl, it was her first time going broody and she had just started laying. I guess she wanted to be a mommy.
    [​IMG]

9. missydcpc

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    She was laying....and has either stopped...or has a hidden clutch somewhere...don't think she has a broody bone...as she's the first in line to go inside at night. Though she was a wonderful mama to the 3 younglings.

10. Mine have stopped laying through winter :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by