Stupid Michigan weather

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ridgefire, May 27, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    We are under a freeze warning for Tuesday night. The overnight low temps at or below freezing.

My chicks are 6 weeks old now, have been living in their coop for 4 nights now with no heat lamp. I do have the coop insulated. It has only been dropping down to 40's at night. Everyone seems to be doing fine with 40's but I'm worried about the freeze temp Tuesday. I'm wondering if I should break out their heat lamp from their brooder and hang it in the coop. Problem is I dont know how low to hang it. I really cant bring them back in the house for the night. The brooder is all put away and I'm not getting it back out.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would...They are not fully feathered until about 8 weeks...so I would give them the extra heat for the night.

Can you find somthing to wrap the cord around or a stapler to staple the cord up with?

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  3. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    I think they should be ok. They will probably huddle together for warmth. I just moved my 3-4 week Orpingtons out to the barn Sat. They've got quite a few feathers.

4. ronshoney

ronshoney Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Algonac, Michigan
    I would use the light...... even my attached garage has been getting real cold on the colder nights.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chick are not fully feather until 8 - 10 weeks. Large breeds can take 12 weeks. Right now they do not have the feathering needed to regulate and insulate their body. In freezing temps they need a heat source at this age. When they get chilled, they often get sick and cannot recover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by