Stupid Mistake, how bad did I screw up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JohnsonHomestead, Aug 19, 2011.

1. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    Today is day 13 of my first run of my incubator, candling on day 7 showed 37 out of 41 had little wigglers, 2 bloodring and 2 that were to dark to be sure. So I recandled very dark eggs last night around 10pm, unfortunalty I have to use the turners socket for my DIY candler, and forgot to plug the turner back in, I noticed and plugged the turner back in around 4 today, should that cause any problems?

2. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably will be okay. If it were off for days, you might have to worry.

3. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    Quote:2x Good luck with your hatch!

4. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    Going to candle the whole batch Sat or possibly sunday, after I get a power strip so I don't have to worry about that mistake again. thanks for the reassurance.

5. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

You should be fine. Its happened here too when I remove to candle. I still get good hatches.

6. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    I've forgot to turn a couple times before.. I turn by hand. And gotten great hatches. Yours should be fine.

7. JohnsonHomestead

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    candled sat, results were good, out of 41 eggs, I am only down to 35. I candled last night as I was locking down, happy to say I had 35 eggs that were getting real crowded with squirmy chicks, I can honestly say I am very happy with the results from my LG Incubator w/ fan and turner, also pleased with my red rooster, think out of 41, I only had 2 that were infertile, the other 4 just failed.

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    When you you have so many eggs in your bator how do you candle?Do you keep opening it and do one at a time?If so don`t you lose a lot heat and humidity?My first time was last month and I had 40 eggs in a turner and didn`t know what to do so I did not candle and had three rotton ones,I was lucky they started seeping and I took them out but was scared that they would explode.Only got 11 out of 40 hatch.

9. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    When a broody hen sits on eggs, she will get off the nest to eat and stretch her legs, which allows the eggs to cool off and lose their humidifier. Opening the incubator from days 1 to 18 will not cause any problems, if the time is kept short, and by short I'd think less than half an hour, but I've only observed one broody hen.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  10. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    OK thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by