Stupid Neighbors Pit Bull (update 2nd neighbors dog attacked person)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by talos321, May 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Again we see why Pit Bulls have such a bad reputation. My neighbors (2 houses down) Pit Bull was running around my chick cage and ramming the sides full power. This was lifting up the small chain link kennel off the ground. I went outside to shoo the dog away and it charged at me growling with it's mouth open. I managed to hit it's head with a steel pipe which broke off the attack. Then it ran to my large chicken dog kennel and began ramming that one too.

I ran down to that area trying to shoo it away and again it charged at me but, gave up when it saw that I still had the steel pipe which narrowly missed it's head a 2nd time.

My dad came over and went to get his 30/30 and I told him to hold off and called the police. They sent over Animal control and the woman was saying "She's not mean! She's a sweetheart." Sweetheart my butt if it had been my niece (11) or nephew (5) it would have killed them. She put the dog back up and animal control guy said that she claimed the dog was not harmful and she was sorry it got away.

This I suppose will be her one and only warning about her dangerous animal and will let my papa do what he does next time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Well, if it happens again, you know who to call. Animal Control now has the situation on record.

In the meantime, I'd do something about securing the chick cage "just in case."

3. Missouri chick

Missouri chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    Oh oh oh....that is terrible news. I work for a vet and know that some breeds are just plain worse that others. I wish people would take responsibility for their animals. Yes, they may be sweet to their owner, but to others it just isn't so. 90% of the time when owners tell us that their animal won't bite, we get bit!!!!! When specific dogs get it in their head to do something, they don't forget. Keep a close watch out for this dog and good luck!

4. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    My friend lives next door to a guy with two rotties who, if they ever get out of the pen they are in will kill whoever they get a hold of...guarranteed. They are two very mean dogs and I stopped going to visit because of them. It seems that until those dogs kill someone they are left alone and nothing is done about them.
    If I lived next door they would have had thier last steak dinner a long time ago...so sue me, but MY kids and neighborhood kids are worth much much more than a mean old dog. Do what you gotta do...just hide the evidence:>)

5. talos321

Yes, I put metal spikes into the ground to hold it down. I had no idea a dog could lift up a steel kennel cage. Luckily the chicks were ok they ran and hid in the house. My concern beyond the chicks is that my niece and nephew play right there when they are over. That dog would have attacked them..possibly killing them if it were a day when they visited.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  6. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    Wow that's scary! Thank God it wasn't one of the kids.

we have a neighbor with a mean Rottie.

It's killed a few cats. Attacked our old dog 2 times and a couple of the other neighbors dogs too.

the last time she attacked our Kyra. My daughter had her on a leash in our fron yard.

she sceamed I ran out and screamed for her to drop the leash.

Hubby runs out separates them. then they manage to start again so he heaves Kyra over his shoulder and the other dog misses his arm by no less than a quarter of an inch.

He kicked the other dog and then her owners come out and get her.

This is the 2nd violent dog they've had. Sometimes I think its the owners not the dog.

I personally wouldn't keep a dog that acted that way even once.

[​IMG]

7. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I don't know about S. Carolina laws, but I think in Georgia if an animal is attacking you on YOUR land you have the right to do what is necessary. Human life is ALWAYS more important than animal. Yes, it would be very difficult for me to do, but I'd rather not be the one to die.

8. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    The 30/30 should have sent 170 grains of copper and lead home.

A dog that acts like that in front of other people should be DEAD. period end of subject. You shouldn't have to worry about the kids or your stock at your place.

I'm a single Dad with kids 5 and 8,,,,Heaven help what intrudes and even attempts to harm who or what is here.

I wish I still had such a big heart, and I credit those who do..However I lost more than many will ever have fighting for my kids and rebuilt a good life.

Nothing is going to make my family fear going out in our yard, the hill is littered with the vermin that threatened them.

9. talos321

Quote:That is the partial reason I told dad to hold off. I'm sure if it would have actually bitten me it would be justified as the police will shoot a dog themselves that has either attacked a person or is threatening them. Maybe she'll heed the warning she got with luckily no real consequences done.

Oh I do love dogs, don't get me wrong. I've had a few that turned out mean but I kept them originally in either the large kennel or in the house. They were never roaming the neighborhood.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  10. Missouri chick

May 15, 2008
    Homer, GA
    I know what you mean. It's hard to know what to do. I'm glad that you are all safe and unharmed now. Hopefully your neighbor will keep her dog in his kennel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by