stupid pecking order questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by operator16, Sep 9, 2010.

1. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Can I be the top hen? If I break up squabbles and relocate gals on the roost or give food out to the lower ranks first will they respect my decisions or am I kidding myself and they'll go right back to their own order once I walk away?

If I spend time with the lower gals giving them treats first or extra lap time will that cause problems for them once I walk away?

Do chickens get jealous?

Do I have too much time on my hands?

Silly questions, I know.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    you can be top of the order when you are there... but someone will take your place when you walk away. Trust me.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    You should establish yourself as top bird (whether the hens will see you as hen or rooster, I don't know) and never accept any aggression towards yourself.

You will certainly be able to establish some order amongst your girls whilst you are around, but I don't know what will happen when you walk away.

A rooster will do the job better than you can unless you plan to spend all your day with them.

Sandie

4. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks for your thoughts. It's kind of what I thought. I appreciate your posts!

5. birdsNbeesNseeds

birdsNbeesNseeds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Quote:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by