stupid people shot my pigeon:'''( help please!!

Majd

Songster
9 Years
Jun 22, 2012
I've lost my male pigeon (kinder) 3 days ago.... until yesterday my neighbors found him on their house and told me about him.... I rushed to see him and he was sitting on the ground so I knew immediately that his leg was shot by some feeak people as their are some hunters in the area but they know they shouldn't shoot pigeon as they belong to someone... and we don't have feral pigeons in here.... so I checked his leg and the upper part of the leg had the bones broken several parts...I was so worried about him... I knew he was for two days without food or water so I gave him some water and food and he ate and drank immediately on his own..... I wanted to take him to a vet but no vet around our area and most of the vets here take care of big farm mammals such as cows sheep goats.... but they don't have experience with birds... know he's still eating and drinking fine but his leg is so bad and it's greenish and swollen.... he can barely walk or even move he is a father of tow 13 days old squabs and his mate was stolen by two guys that took herfrom the ffront of the house and runaway on a motorcycle... so I've been hand feeding the squabs while he was missing... so what do you advice me to do know... is there a way to save his leg... or at leat to let him jump on this leg a bit???? What can I do for him??
Sorry about the long thread but I tried to explain the situation the best way.... any help would be appreciated.. thank again...

You need to wash out the wound with water. I would rinse it with peroxide to kill the bacteria and eat away some of the dead tissue. Then put plenty of neosporin or other antibiotic cream on the leg and wrap it, preferably. Get him on antibiotics in the water before the infection spreads. Terramycin/tetroxy, amoxicillin, sulmet....any broad spectrum will work.

Oh that's horrible!
Definitely put electrolytes in the water, and get him to have as much as possible. You can make a mash by mixing some water with the food. The more water, the better. (It's good that he's drinking and eating.) The leg sounds like it's getting a severe infection or gangrenous. It seems rather advanced, and even if the vet doesn't specialize in avian medicine, they will most likely be better equipped and may have a small amount of experience with this, at least in school. Are there open wounds? If there are, you can use saline or Vetricyn to clean it and put a triple antibiotic ointment on it. If you choose not to go to a vet, you may be able to set it and splint it, but this is risky. Sometimes a leg will heal on its own, but an infection this advanced will require special care.
Good luck! I hope he gets better!

Thank you for your comments.... I sterilized the wound and gave antibiotics.... but now we went to the nearest vet and he was in a cow farm.... so we were trying our best to help him... as he is my first pigeon and my first father... so I will try to take him back to the vet tomorrow as he might help... kinder is still eating and even picking his favourite seeds from the food mix :') I'll try my best to apply your advice.... thanks again and I'll keep you posted for news!!

It is hard to make an assessment on a verbal description. There are so many issues that one can not comprehend.

Such as the size of the wound and the caliber of the weapon used; If there is bone tissue missing; If it was shot with a 177 caliber air rifle you may save the leg. If it was shot with a 22 caliber weapon I doubt it.

Pictures would help.

I am thinking you may have to euthanize him.

A one legged pigeon would be loft bound for the rest of his life; fodder for predators; it sounds like infection has taken a hold of his immune system.

You may be doing him a favour by putting him out of his misery.

Last edited:
STUPID SHOOTERS
somad.gif

they should know what to shoot and what not to shoot. Im sure there is a way to report this kind of behavior.

Anyway try and wash out the would and put some medication and wrap it up like one person said aready, if there is any hope of saving it this will do the job.

Im so sorry for what has happend and keep us updated on this forum for any changes
smile.png

Hi hokum coco... some people here told me to put him down to end his pain... but I red about people that had pigeons with the same situation and all they gave them was food water and rest... and the became the same after a while.... but if his situation got worse.. I will ask someone to put him down even if this is heart breaking for me.... I called the vet today and he told me to bring him in the afternoon..... we'll see how the things will be...

Hi 210175....
I think my brother saw a neighbor shooting that day... this neighbor noone like him and he hates everyone and always try to annoy everyone.... he feels jealous of everyone.... I'm pretty sure it's him.... I'll do my best to save my kinder .....I cleaned the wound and done all the possible hoise work.... today I'm taking him to a vet....
Thank you so much for yoir kind comments and support.... and thanls everyone for your support and advice too...
I'll keep you posted for any news...

A bit of good news.... the vet gave him some medicine and the swallowing is much less..... but he said that he can't make him a surgery or fix it for some reasons... so after he heals he will walk a bit weird.... but I'm glade that he'll make it...

Back
Top Bottom