Stupid post office should be sued

Alas

Songster
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Covington, LA
I ordered my daughter some bantam Russian Orloff eggs a few weeks ago. I put them in the bator and left them alone until tonight. We candled them before lockdown and EVERY SINGLE ONE CANDLED CLEAR!!! We opened them up to find that the yolks were scrambled up like they were about to go into the frying pan. Most of the air cells had been broken too. The box had come marked fragile. The eggs were in a cardboard carton and put in a box stuffed with newspaper. The post office must have played football with that box! I'm mad as heck that my money was wasted and that my daughter is upset. These were supposed to be for her 4-H project. I hope we have time to start again
sad.png

At least your PO only screwed up the eggs. A friend of mine lost a box of day-old chicks when some idiot at her PO left them outside in the truck overnight in the very early spring (think: snow on the ground!). I am sorry for your loss & hope you do get a chance to start over.
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear that. I was supposed to get 2 dozen Lavender Orpington today and they are not here.
sad.png
:heThey are coming from Georgia and I am in north Idaho. 2600 mile trip. I probably wasted my money. I am hoping to get a few chicks. Will have to wait and see.
fl.gif

Haven't any of you ever seen Ace Ventura Pet Detective, in the very beginning where he is disguised as a postal carrier? Recall what he DID with that package? Any time my mother sends me packages marked FRAGILE something is broken inside.

We need to start handwriting messages to the mail people, such as...

Dear Postman,

Please be very careful with this package, as it has items that are important and breakable, such as little animals. I would greatly appreciate if it arrived intact.

Thanks you SOOOOO much for doing your job properly,

Sincerely,
The one who doesn't want to get miffed merchandise in the mail.

I actually DID this one time, when shipping fragile materials back to myself.....and you know? It all made it in one piece.

What makes me the maddest is they never seem sorry if it is busted or lost, never offer compensation. Even their insurance is a scam. But the alternatives are not good either.:-(

The live chicks were never a problem. I've had several shipments of chickens and turkeys. Have only lost ONE baby in shipping out of all the shipments put together. My post office gets them in and calls me though, so the chicks dont get loaded onto the truck. My postman stopped and told me that he left the eggs at the post office because his truck is too hot for them to be in. Its 100 degrees here and he doesnt have A/C in his truck, so I was appreciative of that fact. Too bad the previous handlers hadn't been as caring. These eggs looked like they had gotten a buggy ride on New Orleans streets.

Let your fingers do some walking in a few board searches on shipped eggs. They are notorious for bad hatchability. Some folks do occasionally get a 100% hatch, some like you get nothing at all, and the average seems to be around 50%.

Candling eggs before you set them is always a good idea and if this is to be a 4-H project then your daughter learning how to candle would be a feather in her cap and look really good in her poultry project. In fact embryology (egg hatching) is a 4-H project in itself. Candling would have shown you the eggs with the broken yolks or detached air cells.

The reality of handling literally millions of letters and parcels a day such as the Post Office does is that they can only do so much with fragile contents. No matter how well packed the chances are good that shipped eggs will not have a good hatch rate compared to locally produced eggs. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I'm not standing up for anyone but.......for heavens sakes. They are EGGs. They are not meant to be sent on the mail. Maybe they were not fertile. Maybe packaging was not so good. I've had eggs that were my own and when opening after being in an incubator for 18 plus days, look kind of scrambled. I don't get a good hatch rate on shipped eggs, and I expect it .I understand your frustration, though just hope for the best and expect the worst.
Michele

Back
Top Bottom