Stupid Ques. about thieving broody hen

spowell

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Rocky Point, NC
Ok, I went out of town Labor Day weekend and had a friend watching my chickens while I was gone. When I got home labor Day one of my silkie hens had gone broody and was setting on 2 eggs. Well every time another hen goes into the coop to lay an egg the broody one steals it
barnie.gif
And....Did I forget to mention the other hens are Minorcas?? They are my egg laying hens. She has had a many as 10 eggs, she can't possibly cover that many eggs so i culled them down to six. Everyday I have to go out and pull out the unmarked egg she stole. I hate to dispose of the eggs she has stolen, How long can she set on them before they are no good to eat?
hu.gif

I collect them each night and eat them, regardless of whether a broody has laid on them during the day or not. Never had any embryonic blood/pieces in it. I believe it takes about 24 hours of incubation before the blood starts to form.

Good that you learned to mark your eggs that she's laying on so you don't have to "guess" and have a terrible surprise.

Quote:
I candled them before I culled and left the 6 that were growing. I put a big X on them!! Now I'm just waiting to see what happens. She is an older hen, and all she wants to do is have chicks
barnie.gif
She has been broody on and off just about all summer. I chunk her off the nest daily to make sure she is eating enough. I candled the eggs today and they are looking great. Maybe she will do it this time.
wee.gif

Thanks for the input. I will eat away!!

Back
Top Bottom