Stupid question about laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StrayMagnet, Jul 12, 2011.

1. StrayMagnet

StrayMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Ok PLZ don't laugh.. I know NOTHING!!! i'm just learning. these chickens were just Placed upon my doorstep as to speak lol.

but My questions are

1. how long before she starts to lay again. her chicks all hatched friday sometime and Emerged Saturday.. and one late bloomer hatched just yesterday.
    2. Dose she have to get with a rooster again to have her next batch of eggs be fertil. or do they also retain sperm for a short time like a turtle (see turtles are my thing I konw about them)
    3. what age can you take the chicks from mom? I have 2 ppl intrested in Chicks. but I was thinking to waite till they are of age to determine gender. as one lives in city limmits. and can't have rooster. so she wants a egg laying hen.

ok think thats it.. I guess i'm just anxious for a new batch of babys., I'm having so much fun with the ones that Were givin to me by Nature!! i want more!!!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

1. She won't lay again until she is finished raising her chicks. That could be any time between 3 and 10 weeks, depending on how dedicated she is at being a mommy.
    2. They retain sperm a while, but 3 weeks of incubating takes care of that.... and of course, she won't lay until she's done raising her chicks, even IF she lets a rooster mount her while she's raising them.
    3. You can take them from mom at any time, as long as you are willing to brood them with supplemental heat. 95 degrees first few days, 90 degrees second week, 85 third week, 80 fourth week, 75 fifth week, and so on, until they are fully feathered. Leave 'em with mommy unless the new owner wishes to brood them.

....... "I'm having so much fun with the ones that Were givin to me by Nature!! i want more!!!!"

Mwaahaaahaaaahaaaa! And so it begins.......

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

First, let the hen raise them. She'll cut the apron strings, typically, at the 4-5 week mark.

Yes, you'll need a rooster to make her fertile again. There is no more sperm viable in her ducts. Much too long ago.
    As for when she'll start laying again, it depends on her, her breed, her age, her diet and just.... her. [​IMG]

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Quote:exactly

5. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Quote:Ok your lil "evil" Mwahahahahahaha has me frighten lol,

Fred's Hens :

First, let the hen raise them. She'll cut the apron strings, typically, at the 4-5 week mark.

Yes, you'll need a rooster to make her fertile again. There is no more sperm viable in her ducts. Much too long ago.
    As for when she'll start laying again, it depends on her, her breed, her age, her diet and just.... her. [​IMG]

I figure as much but I was not sure. I know some animals Retain it, like turtles. I guess I was just hoping upon hope when These lil chicklets are grown she'd lay me more chicklets LOL
    I may just have to get me a rooster. so I dont have to waite for my chicks to be of age LOL. Oh gesh I see why gryeyes said Mwahahahahah now
    but dont get me started ,,, I saw a pic of a silkyand NOW I WANT A SILKY!!!

I can see now My back yard when fenced... "over here we have the dog run.. over there we have the Egg chicken run.. over here we have our Hen house and Nursry. and over there......... in that little corner of our 1 acre of land the 2 feet left for the kids!!! lol.​

6. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    The first two questions have probably been answered sufficiently, so answer three:
    You can remove the chicks at any age so long as they are kept as warm as needed with food and water available. However after a few days they will bond to their mother and become resistant even to another hen, never mind a heat lamp.
    It's really best to take them away around the time they are fully feathered on the outside.

We free-range our chickens, so we usually just let the chicks and their mother free. The mother leaves when she's ready to, and by that time the chicks are old enough to be independent. Mine usually stick together in a group until they reach maturity.

7. StrayMagnet

Jul 10, 2011
    W. Georgia
    Yea i plan on keeping mom and chicks together till they are bigger and have feathers. I have ppl intrested in adopting one. but I told them they will have to waite till they are older and able to determin gender for sure.

I do know we are keeping a few along with mom.. may as well. I'm not sure yet if we will keep one of the males as our rooster. or if I'll get a adult rooster

if i get a adult rooster.. will he harm the chicks if i put him in with them? will he hurt The female being he dose not know her and she dont know him. or will he take to her.

I plan on sometime in the near future. building a coop so I can have Egg laying hens... and a seperate one for my chicks..

I also made the mistake of lookig up Silky's and now i want a silky chicken and rooster LOL!!!! the are absolutly beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by