Stupid question alert!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jocasta, May 19, 2011.

1. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I have a black Orpington hen and am going to pick up a buff Orpington roo. I was just wondering if there were any sex link between the two colours and if so, what are they? I'm aware this is probably a really stupid question and if it were that easy, no doubt everyone would be doing it but hey, it never hurts to ask right? Lol! Regardless of this, what colour will the offspring likely be? Will I get half black and half buff or will it be a big surprise?

TIA

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No, they will not be sex links. Theoretically, the chicks will be solid black, but in practice, I'd expect some reddish/buff/golden colors to leak through. Probably not so much on the hens but more likely on the roosters. Even then, it should not be much. Probably just a few scattered feathers.

I'd expect the chicks' down to be solid black. I really would not expect to see any red.

At least this is how it worked with my Speckled Sussex over Black Australorps. And the rooster's reddish feathers did not show up until after the final juvenile molt. This is what I am talking about on the roosters. The hens were solid black.

[​IMG]

3. Jocasta

Jocasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Figured that'd be a little too lucky haha! Thanks so much for responding! [​IMG]

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I have chicks from my Black Australorp roo and the hens are either GSL or Buff Orp, I thought I would get all black, but the two that were hached black are now a very pretty light choc. with gold barring on the chest and neck, and one hatched solid yellow with just a few very small blacks spots on its head and wings, its turning a very pretty gold. I was wondering if somehow I got sex-links, with the dark ones being hens, and the gold a roo.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:If you got anything other than mostly black with that rooster, he is not pure Black Australorp. He is some kind of cross. What kind of cross, I have no idea.

You cannot make black sex links or red sex links with Gold Sex Link or Buff Orp hens. It does not matter what rooster you have.

Tadkerson has a real good article on what colors can be used to make sex links in the first post of this thread. It might help.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

6. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    The chicks will be mostly black but will likely have some gold on their heads.

7. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Quote:If you got anything other than mostly black with that rooster, he is not pure Black Australorp. He is some kind of cross. What kind of cross, I have no idea.

You cannot make black sex links or red sex links with Gold Sex Link or Buff Orp hens. It does not matter what rooster you have.

Tadkerson has a real good article on what colors can be used to make sex links in the first post of this thread. It might help.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Well, I guess he could be a mix, but I paid for a Black Australorp, that is all the lady I bought him from raises, and he looks just like all the photos that I see of Black Australorp. What ever he is he's a great roo with his ladys and people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by