Stupid question, but I am asking anyway.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by blue fire, Nov 15, 2009.

1. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Do you really need to use flea shampoo for mild cases of fleas? I though maybe people would just want you to buy their product so they advertise that it kills fleas. I have a feeling the awnser is yes, but I don't want to spend money that I don't have to.

2. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Is this for a pet? Dawn dishsoap works well. Lather and soak for about 5 minutes. Rinse. It smothers the fleas. You will need to repeat in about 5-7 days for anything that hatches out.

You will also need to vacuum your house really well, put borax down and then vacuum.

If you can treat your yard, do so.

3. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    i am thinking you most definately will need something stronger than flea shampoo to break the cycle. there is no such thing as a small case of fleas. believe me....one today, 5 million tomorrow. GL w. that. If it were me... i would be off to the VET and getting their recommended brand and dose.

I went through a flea takeover just recently all bc of a few fleas and an aging dog. Since he is aging, 17 yrs old, i did not want to unnecessarily medicate. I tried all natural methods, organic, spray on, and flea shampoo and collar. the [email protected] things nearly took over the house...even AFTER all those treatments... so i went back to the vet and got their recommended stuff. expensive yes, but no more fleas, thank gosh.

4. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Soak? I don't know how I could soak my 75 pound dog. [​IMG]

5. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    yea my friend had a problem with her dog like that, but it seems if I just wash the dog, put some flea meds on him and vacuum we have no more trouble. I was just wondering if the shampoo was necessary....

6. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    Tie the smallhorse (I mean dog) to something and bath, let him stand with the soap on him for 5 mintues before rinsing.
    If you read most of your flea product shampoos, they say to leave suds on the dog for 5 mintues too.

7. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    when you vaccuum, be sure to change the bag and throw the bag in the dumpster, --- and i mean, get it out of your yard.

the eggs live and will hatch, says my vet....

it is a cycle that is incredibley difficult to break.

8. blue fire

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Ohhh Ok I was wondering how I was going to submerge my pony/dog in water. I would have to get a swimming pool and fleas or no fleas I am not buying him his own swimming pool. [​IMG]

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Comfortis, Comfortis, Comfortis!

10. I gotta say this...NO QUESTION IS A STUPID QUESTION [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by