Stupid question-Help please.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Beckymca, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Beckymca

Beckymca Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm not awake enough to figure this out, sad, I know, lol...

I calibrated my thermometers in ice water. 1 read 32*, the other 3 read 36*, I checked them twice. So do I need to add 4* or subtract 4*? Sorry over worked and not enough sleep, lol.....

2. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    If you're using the 32* one, add 4. Sounds like the others are spot on. Now get some sleep [​IMG]

3. ci_cyfarth

ci_cyfarth Chirping

Dec 29, 2011
    Columbia, MO
    Water freezes at 32*F, ice water is warmer. The thermometer that reads 32*F reads four degrees low. You should add 4*F to the one that reads 32*F.

You might check at some other temperatures as well to see if the difference is consistent. I suspect it will be, but it couldn't hurt to confirm just at room temperature that that one still reads low.

Good luck!

(Edited because apparently I'm not awake either!)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Sorry! Need help again...How many times have i asked this I dont know but cant find the answer in my profile of what was said over the past weeks..YOu'd think i would rememebr...

Today is day 18. at 9 am. LOCKDOWN day.
    OK do i lock down today 9 am or after this day is over. ?Tonite? That would almost be going into day 19. Well about 1/2 way.
    Eggs set May 18th 9 am .Counted May 19th 9 am as day 1.
    Want to get this right,.
    Thanks ahead

5. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Songster

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    GEEZ i mustnt be awake either...... Hijacked your post. with my different question.Sorry!didnt mean to.

6. Beckymca

Beckymca Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    No problem I question that as well!!!

Soooooo the information I found said to calibrate a thermometer you place it in crushed ice and water that sits for 5 minutes and your thermometer should read 32*. I guess I agree tho it would be slightly higher. Sooooooo confused!!!!!!!!!

This hatching chicks thing is a lot of trial and error and calculating and planning. Far more to it than I originally thought, lol.....

So I was thinking 3 were off, running too high. You all are thinking only 1 is off and it is running low. Hmmmmm.....

7. Beckymca

Beckymca Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    So I placed my hygrometers in a zip lock bag with 1/2 cup of salt mixed with 1/4 cup of water for 10 hrs and they read 70% and 72%. so I add 3% to one and 5% to the other??????

8. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I just stick the thermometer in there & go with what it says...lol

9. Beckymca

Beckymca Songster

Jul 4, 2010
    Sort of like a "kiss" (keep it simple stupid) thing. Had a great first hatch when I knew nothing and just let it happen, lol....

10. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Songster

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    I think we worry too much about keeping everything "exact". Momma doesn't worry, she just sits & lets it happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: