1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stupid question? I think...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OHMYCHICKIES, Nov 7, 2008.

1. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Both my roosters, different breeds, have pink on their legs. Like they have scratched up their legs. Do I have to worry or are their legs suppose turn pink? One is a Buff Orp. and the other Light Brahma.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do the legs look irritated? Are the scales raised? It could be nothing but irritation or - It could be an indicator of leg mites. Can you make photos?

BO's have white or pinkish white legs naturally.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sometimes it's the male hormones streaking up their legs! I learned that a few years ago from Hinkjc (Jody), when I first started with Buff Orpingtons the cockeral had lots of pink streaks and my Light Brahma rooster use to have those also.

Just keep an eye on it but I'd say thats what it is.....

Edited to add: It is not a stupid question.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Barred Rock roosters' legs are quite red up the sides. It's a mature rooster thing, unless you have raised scales or something else going on.

5. OHMYCHICKIES

OHMYCHICKIES Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    the scales are not raised, just looks scratched on the back of the leg not front. I can see if I can get a picture. But I'm thinking as others said, that maybe it's a male hormone thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by