Stupid question-I want a rooster...but no fertile eggs..ideas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lilbirdee, Apr 21, 2009.

1. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    I hope that this is the correct forum.
    I have 15 new chicks. Bought as pullets but I know that the odds are that at least one of them will turn out to be a cockerel.
    I have been saying that I don't want any roosters. The number one reason is because I don't want to eat or sell fertile eggs. [​IMG]
    But on the other hand, I can live with the crowing & I think that the roosters are beautiful.
    So the stupid question of the day is...how do you have a rooster without fertile eggs?
    Beyond the obvious of keeping him separated from the girls, which free range. I wouldn't even know how to go about that.
    Or am I just wrong about the eating aspect of the fertile eggs?
    I'd appreciate any and all suggestions!

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    why dont you want to eat fertile eggs they are the same you would never know it [​IMG] you could make the roo a capon if you dont want him to be able to do the fertilization thing.

3. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Ours are fertile and there is no difference in taste or anything. I would think but im not sure that he would become very "frustrated" and possibly more aggressive if he could not breed. Hope someone else chimes in

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Nothing wrong whatsoever with eating fertile eggs; in fact, there are gourmet stores around here that sell fertile eating eggs - says they're fertile right on the carton!

5. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    We eat all the fertile eggs we want cant tell any difference in them over non fertile eggs. I sell all my extra eggs to people to eat and no problems there.

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Other than keeping him seperate from your hens, I dont think its possible. Eating fertile eggs wont bother you. I will bet you cant even tell any difference. [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    We eat fertile and infertile eggs all the time, there's no difference. Either way, if you collect eggs at least once a day and refrigerate them, chances are it's no longer a fertile egg anyway. Some will disagree, but basically, refrigeration stops any potential development. It's not like you'll crack and egg and find something horrifying in there. I know, it used to worry me, too. Until I started raising chickens!

8. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    So you can't even tell if they are fertile or not?
    I just had this idea that there are "extras" floating around.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Nope, youll never know the difference.

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by