stupid question on guinea fowl

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Henny peeny, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    This spring I hope to get a guinea fowl but as I am told they are very vocal I have neighbors and when I get one there is nothing they can do to have me get rid of them but I wonder if maybe one is more quiet then the other so here is the question are the male more quiet or the females and is there a certain colour or is it a different breed ( I know nothing of them so best I can explain what I mean is you have different dog breeds) I want a hen but I don't have a rooster in with me 5 hens so if a male is more quiet it would be best. I have seen all colours so can some one help me out here I thought it would be best to get a egg and hope for the best I thought maybe the chickens would accept the chicken more then a adult you can tell me more on this to.

Thanks

Rhayden

2. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    With the guineas the male are more quiet. At least mine are.
    So you have 5 hens?

3. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
    yes I have 5 chickens hen 4 isa browns and one Easter egger I was told she was a ameracauna but it don't matter she is cool laying bluish greenish eggs. The guinea fowl I think would be good and male you say, can a giunea fowl and a chickns mate and have off spring? be a funny looking chicken huh?

What colour giunea fowl do you have? not sure the colour yet. didn't say if it is best to get a full grown or a egg I know you take a chace with it could be either but in order to have a easier time would a egg be better. I am to introduce 3 to the flock and though not hard and all do they notice the guinea is a... diferent?

When I was in school there was clicks and I have heard this for the chickens so you think this could be with the two ( chicken and guinea ) to be put together? do you have chickens with you guinea fowl to?

Rhayden

4. GuineaLady93

GuineaLady93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Cameron, NC
    My Coop
    Umm. Yes, I think chickens and guineas can produce offspring.
    The colors I have include:
    Pearl, Pearl Pied, Royal Purple, Royal Purple Pied, White, Coral Blue, Slate, Buff, Buff Dundotte, Brown, Brown Pied.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Chickens and Guineas have been crossed. Though Guinea males don't have enough equipment to impregnate a chicken hen. But Roosters can mate naturally with a Guinea hen. So having a Guinea male wont be a worry because even if he does look like he is mating he wont be able to "connect" with a chicken hen.

deb

6. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
    what do a giunea and a chicken look like any pictures?? it would be interesting if it clucks or crows or my husband seem to think they yell POT RACK which he calls them. Maybe a female so I can raise a few for the table and see if they taste like chicken or guinea. My husband says the guinea fowl,have all dark meat. how hard is it to tame them down I had a cornish X rooster that loved attention he would sit on my lap and I would pet him. I love to see how the mating would turn out. anyone have the cross of a chicken and a guinea?

Rhayden

7. Henny peeny

May 4, 2007
    NC
  8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I hear the voice is a mixture. Yep Guinea fowl are all dark meat because they are soo active. A friend if mine raises Guineas for sale she raises ALOT of guineas. She processed her first ones this past fall and she said they are very very lean and all dark meat. I have heard it tastes like pheasant but She said it tasted like a cross between chicken an turkey. Maybe shes never had Pheasant before.

If you want to raise Guineas Be prepared to have at least Six. Ten would be better. And they are aweful mothers in a domesticated situation. So you will need a broody hen or an incubator. And they only lay eggs from about the end of Feb to Oct or there abouts. Shorter time in colder climates longer time in warm climates.
    the odds of actually raising a Natural cross are astronomical. Even if you saw a mating and the Guinea hen layed some eggs and you found them in time to get them into an incubator I hear the viability of the eggs are like 2 percent. (that may be wrong I couldnt find any statistics on that but I did read it somewhere) Most of the crosses are the results from Artifical insemniation.

Oh and the crosses are Sterile. Like a mule.

deb

10. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Quote:
    Rhayden check out this thread on Miracle, an Easter Egger rooster X Guinea Hen hybrid (click here) .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by