1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stupid question pt.2

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tcal, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    If more than one hen is using a nest will a hen decides "OK there's enough eggs here to sit on" Will she sit on them even though they are not all hers? I know, I know, this is probably elementary for you guys but I honestly am trying to learn. [​IMG]

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Yes she will sit on them even if thier not all hers.

3. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Mine don't care whose eggs are there. They just settle down to business. In fact, they prefer something there to nothing. I have plastic easter eggs that have been in there since they started laying (in the wrong places.) I have one long nesting box that accomodates several hens at once. When I first put the plastic eggs in there, the ladies would wait to lay in the end where the plastic eggs were. Then, I put one in either end and they started to use the whole thing. I have never taken them out.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    It's not a stupid question There are no stupid questions when you are trying to properly care for you chickens ! [​IMG]

A hen that becomes broody will sit on anyones eggs ! You would want to put a mark on the ones you want her to be sitting on because sometimes another hen will jump in the box and lay another egg. That way when she leaves the nest to eat and drink you can take away the newly hatched eggs to eat.
    Depending on the size of the hen she can sit on all the eggs she can cover and keep warm

It's funny but a bantam will even sit on a standard chickens eggs and hatch them. [​IMG]

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    i currently have a bantam that has gone broody and is sitting on a wooden egg. [​IMG]

6. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    you folks are AWESOME!! thanks:)

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Broody hens make good incubators. [​IMG]

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    no stupid questions on here! A broody will set on any eggs...no matter if they are chicken eggs or guinea eggs or whatever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by