Stupid QUESTION When I candle these BCMxComet all I see is yolk

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Stupid QUESTION but I am clueless!

When I candle these BCMxComet all I see is yolk I assume moving around inside. Its so hard to see in these buggers! I got them last Wed eve and he said he thinks they are growing even though the pullets are young. he found the nest and wasnt sure how long they been there but no broody hens around.....

So when I candle and I see that round dark spot about a quarter size I assume its the yolk... but how do I know if they are growing since I cant see details? and should the yolk move in the egg when u turn it?

2. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Sounds like they are infertile. If they were fertilized you would see veins developing.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I candled them today and I see eyes!!! YAY!! the hens must have only been collecting and not setting on them yet, so I will assume they are around day 7 or 8!!! so excited!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by