Stupid question ?? Young pullets, do they molt this year ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GermanChick, Aug 30, 2010.

1. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    I don't know if this is a stupid question but I have no clue.... SO..... my chickens just started to lay. Will they molt before the winter or will they have their first molt next year ?

2. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Ours were hatched in April and I was told that they will not molt this year which I'm hoping is right since they are are just starting to lay consistently now.

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I believe I read somewhere on here that a chicken must go through an entire spring season to molt this year. If it was hatched sometime after that, it will not molt until next year.
    Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...I'm still new & my retention is not what it used to be!

Added: Just stumbled across the thread I was talking about--

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104717

comment #3

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    They should not molt their first year, but there are always exceptions. I have had them molt at only 7 months old and on the other hand I had a hen that didn't molt till she was 2.5 years old. She was flat out ragity by the time she molted.

Matt

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a coop full of birds that all seem to be in molt. Some hatched in April! Maybe it's been the severe heat thing here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by