stupid question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hnbubz, Nov 8, 2008.

1. hnbubz

hnbubz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    ok stupid question, when i flip the eggs, which way do i flip them, do i flip the like the way the are in the carton, or do i flip them on their sides, does this make any sense? because i thought the bigger part should always be higher?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    The only stupid question is one that is not ask. That's what I was told. [​IMG]

Anyway, side to side. Don't flip them. The large end is all ways on top.

They get turned an odd number per day, like 3 or 5. If you have them in a carton say you would put a piece of wood under the one side then later move it to the other side. Hope that helps.

3. hnbubz

Nov 6, 2008
    lol, thanks, so they would be laying like this =-- the = was supposed to represent the bigger half, and then i just turn them on their side, so they will still look like this =-- just on a diff. side right? thanks again [​IMG] i have been studying but they never told me what side on the web sites i was reading lol do you have pictures XD im a visual learner lmao

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  4. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:You got it. [​IMG]
    Edited to add
    I'm looking for pictures for you. You can also look in the search at the top of the page. That's where I'm looking for you.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:As soon as I find my camera I will take pictures and show you. I can't seem to find any pics on here.

6. hnbubz

Nov 6, 2008
    Quote:As soon as I find my camera I will take pictures and show you. I can't seem to find any pics on here.

thank you so much!! i really appreciate all the help [​IMG]

7. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my setup...

[​IMG]

Eggs are set in the carton, big end up. The carton is in the little wood crate, and if you look carefully you can see the PVC pipe under it. The PVC pipe lets that whole carton rock back and forth just a little bit... Since it's sitting by my computer, I just rock it back and forth a few times a day which amounts to turning the eggs (but it's much easier).

On my bator, you can turn the PVC pipe from outside. But you could just get the same effect by hand by putting a stick under one end of your carton or the other to get that gentle tipping motion...

Does that help any? Or did I make it worse?? :)

edited for grammar, uff-da

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

PS. and [​IMG] welcome to BYC since I don't think I've spoken with you before. [​IMG]

9. hnbubz

Nov 6, 2008
    thank you so much! i get it, so basically i am just rolling the egg iin a way, that souded weird, thanks so much, the pic makes sense

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by