Stupid question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by KelsiNS, Jul 25, 2013.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    We had a huge woodrat kill my three favorite pullets yesterday. I shot the bugger and buried my feathered babies, directly in front of the two survivors. Alice and Rosie had no bite marks, but had neck, breast, and tail feathers ripped out. Im assuming one of my tomcats heard the panic and spooked the rat (who ended up trapped in the pen when he forgot how he got in). My stupid question: Alice and Rosie were skiddish and low ranking before, and seem a little dazed by the event. Theyre eating and drinking fine, but seem confused as to what they should do-milling around calling and looking for Redbird, Mayhem, and Havvik (they are looking at the grave and it makes me sad). If you have lost part of a small flock to predators, did your lower ranking birds show signs of grief? Is it just ridiculous that im trying to cheer up chickens?

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j True BYC Addict

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You're attaching human qualities and emotions to your chickens. They are not grieving so much as trying to figure out what the new pecking order of the flock will be. There are people who, when butchering their extra chickens, will do so right in front of the rest of the flock. More often than not, those other chickens will grab the innards and eat them. I really don't think that chickens have the thought process to look for the grave of their flock mates. Most likely, they're looking for bugs in the freshly turned dirt. They will be fine in a few days. They just need to readjust to their new place in the flock.

ETA - I have also just recently lost part of my flock to a predator, so I do know what I'm talking about. My loss occurred on Monday.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  3. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    I guess im just too sympathetic to them. Bleeding heart and all ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by