stupid racoon! Bravest little roo!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wildriverswolf90, Sep 21, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    Okay so two nights ago I moved my 6 week old chicks outside, I put a heat lamp over an extra large dog kennel, since its been cold!
    At night I went out and locked them in the kennel.
    I have a large window in the coop that is 6x3ft. It had old chicken wire on it that I can't get off, so I layed new wire over it!
    Anyway, last night I had to work late and was worried sick that my babies weren't locked up and it was dark!!
    I pull in the drive and I see a fat ring-tailed butt hanging from the window!
    I scream and grab my pellet gun and go racing for my coop.
    As I appoarch I take aim at the fuzzy target and fire. It doesn't move?!!?
    Its already dead, darn thing stuck its head in a little hole and his fat butt couldn't follow. He must have freaked out and suffocated (I know its a horrible way to die).
    I open the door and walk in to check on my chicks and Wally Roo has jumped up on the kennel and is trying to spur the coon(though he has no spurs) and he is pecking it and beating it with his wings! My HERO! All then pullets were fine, Wally has a small scratch but is very proud of himself!

2. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    horrible way to go, poor coon. but that roo was awesome. glad that man was protecting his ladies [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This little guy is just 6 weeks old? Wow, he's a keeper! Glad the coon didn't get inside.

4. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

GO WALLY!

My Rooster henrietta ( we named him henrietta before he turned out to be a boy and the name stuck.) is the same way only he does have spurs he saved all of my chickens from a snake last week.[​IMG]

5. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    After having a bad experince with a rooster when I was younger, I wasn't sure I was gonna keep him but he is so brave and super sweet!

6. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Nice roo [​IMG] ! Give Wally a ton of treats!! Glad none of your babies got hurt [​IMG]

7. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

ah heck, the coon prolly broke his neck and died quick. Good Roo! Go Wally... You the man. [​IMG]

8. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Wally is a keeper. Just handle him a lot and make him a real pet. The hens need him.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Good practice for the roo.Glad the coon got stuck before attacking.

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Wally needs lots and lots of extra treats. Good Brave Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by