1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stupid racoon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dianahuffman, Nov 11, 2012.

1. dianahuffman

dianahuffman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    i had a problem with a racoon first a hen vanished with out a trace not even mess of fathers right out the pen then my setting hen right off her nest she died defending her eggs but what took the cake is when my belove rhode island red rooster was snatched right off my front porch so i set trap with piece chicken sure enough 2 days later there in the trap a BIG FAT coon well i have not have problems with vanishing chicken since wish i set the trap sooner my poor rooster
    [​IMG]
    R.I.P. My Beloved Brown

2. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I have had so many raccoon attacks here, but no kills! The first time was about a year ago when they tore right through the chicken wire. Then they broke a slide bolt completely off the coop door. Then they tore all the screens off the windows. Tonight however, the raccoon was attacked by the local pack of coyotes. It was the worse sounds I have ever heard coming from the woods but I hope they killed it. My coop is now everything but bear proof!

3. sperry

sperry New Egg

Oct 9, 2012
    Try a trap....piece of bread with some peanut butter. They are very cheap at Tractor Supply. I had this fat coon on camera till last night. Released a long way from my coop this morning. Girls were very happy.....

[​IMG]

4. dianahuffman

Nov 11, 2012
    it looks like the one i just trapped

5. Greyfox Farm

Greyfox Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm glad you got him, but please don't relocate predators. You've made one now trap-wise predator someone else's problem.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i was going to say the same thing. It is illegal here to relocate a wild animal. If you can't dispose of it yourself, the Federal Trapper will come and euthanize it for a small fee.

7. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    We have many predators here (bears, bobcats, etc.) and we have avoided serious problems with a 5 wire electric fence. Still see some around once in a while but I avaid shooting almost everything EXCEPT racoons. I shoot them on sight.

8. dianahuffman

Nov 11, 2012
    well i had my neibor shoot it before i opened the cage and he was stubbling as he walked away so i think he died anyway i just could not bring myself to do it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by