stupid rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaimslee4u, Sep 30, 2010.

1. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    So this is the first year I have owned a rooster, please forgive me for my stupidity. But is it always so agressive looking when a rooster mounts a hen? He grabs her feathers by the scruff of her neck and then tries to climb on. Not very graceful may I add, what ever happened to wooing?

Ha, she turned around and pecked him then chased him away. - good girl!

2. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That's funny!

Ed

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    He may get better but dont bet on it. Romance isnt exactly in the play book for some roosters.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They generally become somewhat more gentle as they perfect their technique. It is never a loving coupling. Think reptilian reproduction. Yes, what you are seeing is perfectly normal.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

However, if your rooster perfects the Rooster Drop Wing Circle Dance of Love, you will be enjoying the preliminaries!

6. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] - can't wait to see that!

7. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I've noticed that the "romance" is rougher when the rooster is still trying to convince the hens that he really is supposed to be doing that to her. My younger rooster has to work really hard to get any action, but older rooster doesn't have to be rough at all. Give him some time.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a juvenile rooster - 16 weeks old - that is grabbing hold and trying to mate anything that appears to be in the squatting position. It's not just the pullets he's driving crazy, my dogs are afraid to lay down in the yard. [​IMG]
    Young roosters can be a riot and a PITA at the same time. Thank goodness most of them recover from their testosterone poisoning, but some never do. Those roosters are what I like to call dog food.

9. blueraspberry

blueraspberry Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    well i think you should check out hen aprons from hen saver.com

that way the hen will be protected from the roo while he learns to be a gentleman. [​IMG]

10. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have one roo and 13 hens of mixed breeds. My roo is gentle with some and rough with others. There are some hens that are completely submissive... stand still for him to mount and never utter a sound... just stand back up and dust their feathers off. Then there are the screamers. The roo has to chase them down, grab them by the neck feathers and mount them as they are squawking for their lives. It's quite entertaining to watch.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by