Stupid Rooster Rant

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jeepchick, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    Now I know that noone ever tried to convince me that chickens are smart animals but.....

In the new place we live the chicken coops are all on the same side of the house as my bedroom, and now that there are no leaves on the trees out here every time I turn on my bedroom light, no matter what time of night it is, the pile of roosters all start crowing! It starts with one of them seeing the light and turning on the noise and before I know it I have 14 roosters crowing at 11pm because I got up to go pee! grrrrr [​IMG] So until I can get to the store and buy some light blocking shades I am creeping around the house with a flashlight so I dont wake up the goshdarn chickens. Its a 40 watt bulb for petes sake......it's not like I have a flood light pointed at them. AND I know who the roo is that starts it everytime......I know his crow....Ive got his number.......I would never eat one of my birds but I am not sure I would object to someone else doing it lol [​IMG] I am so glad im not my neighbor [​IMG]

2. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    What a unique situation, I can't bellieve so many Roosters. Do they belong to different neighbors?
    It sounds hilariouse to me, but I guess its not so funny on your end of the picture.

3. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    Quote:Oh no.......those are all MY roosters lol driving the neighbors crazy.....actually my mom just got up like 5 minutes ago and said "You left the basement light on and the roosters won't shut up". and shuffled back to bed. [​IMG]

4. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    That's a cute story!

My one rooster will do the same thing in the morning now that I have to go out to feed them in the dark on the days I go to work. As soon as the flood light goes on off he goes. In his defense thou the light is directed right at the coop! I can't stand these shortened day light hours. It's gonna be a long winter...UGH!

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Welcome to the chicken reality show! [​IMG]

6. BreezeCrestChickens

BreezeCrestChickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I was just about to post a topic exactly like this! I had to get up early this morning to feed the horses and head to town. I had to take my guinea chick out so I just tried to quietly sneak in and put the carrier down, open the door to the free range coop and leave. I hadn't been spotted but as soon as I turned around "AROOOOOAROOOOOAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" darn! Stupid bird stupid bird! I must've made a little TOO much noise and disrupted him then when he realized he hadn't heard my boyfriend leave for work he was shocked! The barn light was on and so was the porch light...so I was too ashamed that I snuck in and hadn't said good morning to tell him it wasn't the sun. Good thing we don't have close enough neighbours for it to matter! Just hoping when the guineas get old enough they don't venture over the hill to the house in front of our hay field.....should I mention they like to party!? Muahahhaa:lau

7. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    My old rooster would start crowing at 3 in the morning! and wouldn't stop!! We don't have him anymore.....[​IMG]

8. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    I have a rooster like an alarm clock. He does'nt even need light.EVERYDAY at 4:50am he starts firing off! He came from my cousin & he leaves at that time.He is trained to it.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many year ago my SIL and BIL were visiting. In the AM my BIL knocked on my bedroom door asking for a gun. [​IMG] When I asked what was going on, he said, "I am going to kill all those *^#@+ roosters. We were so accustomed that we never heard them. [​IMG]

10. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I feel your pain! One of our coops is very near my bedroom and the same thing happens to me. I have just started getting up in the dark and shuffling my feet so I don't trip over a dog! If we are outside late at night and any of them hear us talking, they will crank up too. We've learned that if we're going to sit out and have coffee or a beer, not to talk until we get down to the table on the training field (where we train dogs on the opposite side of our 2 and 1/2 acres from our house.) Basically if you quarter our property, the southeast quarter is where the house sits and the northwest quarter is set aside for training.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by