Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Pretty much annually we get a clog in our sewer line that requires the rooter man to come out and drill his magic line for black gold. Seems that the tree roots work their way into the pipe (terracotta I think) connections and plug everything up.

Well we have a low flow toilet in our main bathroom and while we are glad it saves water, it clogs frequently. Today we thought it was clogged, but turns out the line was just completely backed up. YAY!

Mostly I'm just venting because it is frustrating to deal with, but I'm also wondering what the going rate is in your areas to have someone come out and auger their sewer line outside of the house?

We just had it done, $149.00 per hour and any fraction thereof.
Don't you just love it!
hmm.png

The guy did fix the problem though and was very polite, cleaned up after himself and no plumber's crack either....

I can honestly say I have never had to deal with that. Sorry about it!
I do know when I was a kid my parents had to have the septic dug up, PPPPEEEEEEWWWWW
sickbyc.gif

Hope yours isn't stinky!

It is probably cheaper than what I'm about to pay for my septic problem.

2 years ago my septic backed up. I had it drained for $850. They said the builder but the drain field on fill dirt and that caused the problem. To fix it they wanted $1400 more!!! So I rented a backhoe and did it my self.

Now it is backing up again!!!! Grr, I bet it is the same problem. The ground just settled more. So I have someone coming out Wednesday to drain it and tell me what is wrong.

Hope this company doesn't rip me off like the last one.

My husband has to do it once a year or so for his son. Same thing, terra cotta pipes and tree roots. But they do it themselves and rent the rooter thingy.
Be thrifty, nifty.

Seems like there is something you can put in your drains to help deter that from happening. If I think of it, I'll be back...

Trade you your sewer line for my septic tank.....
Cost to have it cleaned out is $179 now....$85 when I bought the place nine years ago. But really who cares what the price is...when you need it done you are not in a position to negotiate.

we have a low flow toilet

U-huh I can relate. Over 25 years ago my dad went through the house installing different things to save water and the toilet happens to be one of them. Unfortunately I'm the only one that can unclog a toilet
sickbyc.gif
, So yes, you can be very pleased at what your saving the environment, but it can have its down falls.
Looking back at the first idea on toilets, the ones where the tank is high above the toilet, so gravity works for us, flushing at a decent rate, washing out the waste.
We do not have a low flow tank, yet my dad placed styrofoam in the tank to prevent sweating and use less water.
Works well for both.
Good luck on your problem today with the men with the augers!
Soon you'll be whooshing away the crappy part of this story! heee heee he!​

One time during one of the colder months when I was younger, my dad had his septic sucked out. He was standing on the drive behind the guys truck and the guy pushed the wrong button and EVERYTHING in the guys tank EJECTED with intense force out onto my dad. He was covered from head to toe with a great force of projectile poo sludge. Talk about getting to know you're neighbors.

Mom wouldn't let him in the house, so he undressed on the patio and had to hose himself down with the hose....cold water...cold outside...but he was STEAMING mad....that's not all he was steaming.

and that's my poo poo story.

me,
g

Oh boy were we ever with you on it happening Annually, but we Sold the house and
fl.gif
that it's behind us now!! I believe it was $150-200 for the work, probably would be more depending on how far out they had to go to clear the clog.

Back
Top Bottom