stupid skunk. I am so sad.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cynth, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    do not have pics but it would be gruesom if I did. Striped skunks aren't suposed to be climbers but this one was. got my guinea and my silky. the guinea must have just died before I got out there, the silkie must have died this morn around 3 or 4 when my hubby smelled skunk. I don't know why he didn't run out there. He thought another one got hit by our house. Out of 28 chickens/guineas, they put up a good fight in a 7 by 3 foot box. one of the chickens literally ended up in a small waterer. I thought she was dead but when I got her out of there (it was probably funny to watch) she ran off just fine. A roo must have faught good. He is a little bloddy on his leg and limping. I doctored him up. It was crazy trying to get the chickens out of the back of the box. I had to reach in and lift out the silkies and my trooper guinea wouldn't budge till the hens were all out and safe keeping a guard between the skunk and us. I love my guineas but am down to 2 plus the 6 babies. I hope my babies bond to the chicks also and protect them like the other gueanies do. I am so frusterated. I don't even know what to do with a skunk. I was afraid to shoot it.
    What do you think? Has anyone shot a skunk?
    grrrr. The crazy thing is I really like skunks...just not near my chicks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    shoot it, drown it just get rid of it. Skunks are no good high carriers of rabies and they destroy all kinds of wild birds nest.

3. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    We watched it walk away unscathed today. I didn't have my gun, but next time...I will.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by