Stupid Snake!!!!! now with Pics.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Foxhound lady, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Foxhound lady

Foxhound lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    I went out to go check on my 6 week babies a few minutes ago and theres a snake in the baby coop! Two of the babies are missing including Jullian my red polish with a head tilt and one of the black silky babies [​IMG].

All the babies are in cardboard boxes and the bigger girls have been locked out of their coop until my dad can come over an shot the jerk (I dont own a gun and cant shoot a gun and dont want him to suffer unneedlessly)

I'll post more about the stupid snake when he is in snake heaven but for right now I'm so upset.

Jullian was my favorite little guy. Poor Tutu isnt going to know what to due now! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. Foxhound lady

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    Well Mr. Snake is dead and the girls are all looking at it the way chickens do. He was a rat snake about 5 1/2 feet long.

Before he died the small lump is Thyme and the larger lump is Jullian
    [​IMG]

And after the fact

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    wow that is so disgusting. i am glad we do not have snakes that big out were im from. i even hate little garden snakes. sorry for your loss

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm sorry for your babies. [​IMG] Unfortunately, we have to co-exist with snakes and such. I get so angry when things like that happen too. I'm always told, they need to eat too. It doesn't make it any easier, does it?
    And rat snakes are very benefical, just wish they'd go find food elsewhere.

5. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    [​IMG] that was a beautiful old snake. hope you realize now that your setup is faulty and can make changes so snakes can't get in (and then have to be killed). snakes do what they do, and they are very very important in keeping down rodents and rat snakes in particular are especially good at rodent control. we do all have to co-exist.

i'm sorry for your loss and investment. i'm equally sorry that the snake was killed.

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:Very very well put.

7. Foxhound lady

Jul 9, 2008
    TX baby!
    I understand that snake have to eat too but he needs to be eating mice and rats not chickens. I hate having to kill something that was only doing what it was designed to do but if we had let him go he would be back.

We have figured out the faulty parts of the coop and they are getting fixed tomorrow. There was a 6 inch section of fencing not covered by either the hardware cloth of chicken wire.

Now what to do with 9 6 week old babies who are not going back outside until the coop is fixed [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  8. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    3. No Flaming (verbally attacking people or groups of people - e.g. a profession, an organization, a company.)
    4. No Trolling (posting to provoke others, luring them to flame or rant). Trolling is sometimes done involuntarily, so please be considerate when posting.
    5. No teasing, mocking, ridiculing, or otherwise making fun at other member's expense.

If you have nothing helpful to add to a thread then do not post at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
  9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I really hate that. [​IMG]

I'm so sorry that happened. [​IMG]

10. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Did you gut the snake to see which lump was who?

I am sorry you lost some birds, but sorry to see the snake destroyed also. It takes years for them to get that big.

Is the knee-jerk reaction of killing always the correct answer? Would some research on coop reinforcement been a better idea?

I would like to think that there has to be a better solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by