Stupid Snow... Thank goodness for the Fireplace!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bleenie, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

This snowy cold weather is really getting on my nerves now. I was okay with locking all the big birds up but NOW, it's snowing so much and with the wind blowing the brooder is now covered with snow... the brooder that sits on our covered porch!

Even with the heat light in there they were all piled up so I had to dig out a big box and bring all the chicks & 1 duckling inside for the night. I must say I am very happy that our wood stove gets it so warm in here. they're all nestled in the box next to the stove and sleeping soundly.. well besides the little 'triller' [​IMG]

2. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    Gotta love the fireplace.......DH and I stuck a few hotdogs on a stick and had a snack while keeping warm the other nite. [​IMG]

3. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:can i come lie by your wood fireplace [​IMG]

4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    We have the 250w infra red on in the coop tonight. Supposed to go down to 17F. Our 4 hens are all piled into their cuddle box. Their water hasn't frozen in there yet, so I guess they are OK. Tomorrow we're supposed to have a low of 1F?!?!?!?! I think we might bring them in. Ducks seem to be OK....might bring them in tomorrow night too...just for my own peace of mind.

About 6" of snow here in the Western Foothills of the Central Cascades and still coming down. No wind like they are getting in Seattle and elsewhere tho....I hope we dodge that bullet!

Got the stove cooking and blasting out that warm air and the kids are watching the school report channel like it was the presidential elections or something!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's 45 out there right now and I am so tempted to light a fire in the fireplace and just sleep with a blanket in front of the fire tonight.

6. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    I don't heat the coops, they are well ventilated, meaning have many holes. It gets down to -15F a lot in winter, with no problem with the chickens.

Sometimes after a snow storm, I find snow on the floor of one of the coops.....but they are always ok. It bothers me more.

Sue

7. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Always wondered how your chickens survive in severe weather. I guess I won't complain about our little bit of rain. My hens don't know how lucky they are to live in our mild climate. Best of luck to all of you that are are getting the brunt of the fall storms. [​IMG]

8. Kathryn4629

Kathryn4629 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Colbert, WA
    I was just thinking about the cold temps also.. We are supposed to get down to about -21 tonight and have 15-20 mph winds......brrrr!!! So with the wind chill that would be about -37 [​IMG] or so.

I dont mind the snow, but this cold is ridiculous. And on top of it all the chickens water heater quit working yesterday. I have brought out water 3 times today already!!! I called the feed store and they are out of new heaters [​IMG]

9. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Quote:And I'm freaking out about 6F!!!! We're balmy here in comparison. I'm hoping my guys are going to be OK.....And I have a heat lamp going in there!

10. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I can't imagine a fire right now here. I'm hot!

But next week I will be ready!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by