stupid, stubborn tapeworms

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kinnip, Sep 11, 2008.

1. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    My LaMancha buckling has the most stubborn case of tapeworm I've ever seen. I went through a 30 day cycle of wormers, first Ivomec Plus, then Valbazen, the Ivomec Plus again. It's had no effect whatsoever. He's constantly shedding proglottids, this seems to be the only symptom. The last time I wormed him I treated him as a 90 lb goat, which he isn't. The farm I bought him from claims to use no chemical wormers. [​IMG] None of my other goats are shedding proglottids, the wormers appear to have done their job. I haven't tried Safeguard because it's known to be useless in these parts. Should I just increase the dosage and try again? Anyone given a goat an enema?

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I've heard from our local vet that valbazen isn't doing the trick in the SE anymore.

I would try Praziquantel. Not sure of the goat dosage, you'd best call a vet on that.

3. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Ivomec and Safeguard wont touch tapeworms, as far as I know Praziquantel and Cestex are the only thing that kills them.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I hate tapeworms. My cat had them when she came to us. she was a stray. They are the nastiest worms. They give me the creeps.

I hope you get rid of them.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Can you use Panacur on goats? Works well for horses...

6. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    There are very few products that kill tape worms. You have to get a dewormer specially made for them. Tape worms come from fleas. The animal has to eat a flea to get the tapeworm. Check your guy over well and make sure you are dealing with tapeworms.

7. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:Well, see...goats don't get fleas...but they still get tapeworms, as do horses. It's largely unavoidable.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Quote:The vet here is useless. He won't come out to the house or give advice over the phone, and going to his office is an all day affair. The only Praziquantel I can find OTC is for dogs and cats. Have you used it?

9. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    You can find it in horse dewormers...but no I havent used it on goats, which is why I say ask a vet. Call your local vet school, and ask them if you can't find a livestock vet.

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    And food grade DE in good amounts does work or help. Since it's not a poison - it's physical, the worms can't be tolerant to the effect. They can't help but be bugs and DE rips up bugs. If we hit a rough patch with worms here and TN has some determined suckers, DE in combination with wormers is what does the trick. The dogs will get up to a tablespoon on their food if we hit a rough spell, we do it ten days then stop.

Nematodes in the soil cut back on the incidence of fleas/flea larve in the soil. They have to be kept watered in and damp to establish but it really helps. Cutting back on the larvae in the soil helps prevent fleas on dogs and worms in grazers.

I get them where I get my perma-guard DE, not my food grade. Perma-guard DE isn't feed grade. I don't have the website saved on this computer unfortunately. I'll see if I can get the laptop to work later.

Luck, I hate parasites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by