Stupid stuff people say about chickens.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Soot the silkie, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Here's some stuff I've heard people say about chickens, that I think is stupid. Agree in the replies, or say your own stuff like this.
    1. I was reading an article about chickens and it said something like this: "A chicken is man made. It is like my truck or chainsaw."
    Well, excuse me, but I look at my barred rock girl, and think she is very much alive, as she eats drinks, and poops. What I do not think, is look at chainsaw running around, eating grass and being happy. (Also, I never knew chainsaws layed eggs. Correct me if I'm wrong.)
    2. A chicken is extremely stupid. It does not think. It has a brain the size of a pea. I don't believe this at all, since I've trained my chickens to come when called, and jump up onto a platform. They also have very unique personalities.

2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    The one that always annoys me is that a hen needs a rooster in order to lay eggs.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that. A lot of people are surprisingly ignorant regarding the need (or lack) of a rooster in a flock. I currently have 25 hens in my flock and no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without all the aggression, fighting, non-productive mouths to feed, crowing in the middle of the night, biting and feather plucking, and over-breeding and battering of hens that typically goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and enjoying life without any roosters, and their eggs are delicious. Of course, if I wanted fertilized eggs for hatching I would need a rooster. :eek:)

4. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    x3

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

x4!

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I had to raise my chicks up to laying age, and let them start laying to prove to my dh that you don't need a rooster for eggs. He was convinced, and there was no other way to tell him otherwise. My hens lay just fine without a male around to harass them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by