Stupid, stupid dog!

six little chicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Hornell, NY
Yesterday I came home from work and found three of our chickens on the front porch I thought nothing of it, since they have discovered that the cement is nice and cool. I thought I would check on the chickens before I started dinner. I walk out to the coop and four of the chickens refuse to come out, I start looking around for our new rooster (the one ex-FIL gave DS) and can't find him any where. I g in to the house, tell my boyfriend that he is missing, he goes looking, he spots dog tracks. So he went down to his parents house across the road and he found the poor rooster. He was doing his job by protecting his flock, but he paid for it with his life. My DS thinks his rooster ran away and my boyfriend is looking all over the place for a porclain d'uccle rooster to replace him. I don't want to tell DS that Neema and grandpa's dog ate the rooster, because he won't forget or let it go. He still talks about kitty Weasel who got ran over and smoost like a pancake. The rooster was starting to grow on me, at first I didn't like him so much, but he was calming down. I'm worried about the hen that we got with him, she is acting depressed. I'll give it a few days before I really start to worry about her. If need be I will bring her in the house until I can get her to perk up.

The dog is not stupid.. It is our responsibility as chicken owners to do everything in our power to keep them safe. The dog did nothing wrong, only did what dogs do. Once again:

Dog = Predator

Chicken = Prey

Period. Sorry for your loss but do not blame the dog. I would use it as a learning experience as to what to do differently to keep the chickens safe.

I'm sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

sorry for your loss....I would speak to them about keeping better control of their dog, at least a way to keep it at their house
hmm.png

Well, I agree with the above posters. The dog isn't stupid - he's a predator and every predator loves a chicken meal, even if it's your favorite bird.

What can you do now to make your birds less accessible to more predators?

It's THEIR job to keep the dog on their property. It's YOUR job to protect your chickens. The dog was doing what he considers HIS job.

If not their dog, someone else's dog will eventually take your chickens.

Not right, but that's the way it is. Talk to the BF's parents, meanwhile make sure your chickens are locked up safely. See if the parents will spring for another roo and contain their dog.

So sorry for your DS, these things are so hard for kids.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom