Stupid, Stupid, Stupid... Bad Silkie Mom... Hawk grabbed my baby...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Buugette, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Okay, a hawk swooped in and grabbed my daughter's (same daughter that lost her blue silkie hen this past summer...) buff silkie Henrietta. My fault, I had them free ranging in our little backyard rather than in their pen. The hawk wasn't able to take off with her, but did leave her minus several feathers, with a scrap under her left wing and a puncture hold near her breast bone. I cleaned with alcohol and put neosporin on both. Applied neosporin 4 time so far between yesteday and this morning. Henrietta is with the 4 others as she was not happy to be seperated.

There is no sign of bleeding and she is acting fine. Is there anything else I should be doing for her?

Diana

2. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    Oh wow, I am so relieved that you still have your birdie. I thought the worst when I saw your title.

Keep an eye on the puncture, and don't use anything topical with *caine in the ingredients.

3. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Oh, poor little thing!
    Don't worry, I am sure you are doing all you can do! Sounds good!

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Me too. I thought your Silkie hen let a hawk grab her chick. Glad to know she's alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by